|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Abbey House Park, Walsingham|
The park was mostly established by Daniel Henry Lee Warner in the early 1800s,employing John Haverfield as landscape gardener and architect. The landscape included a lake, a sunken road dividing the gardens from the less formal parkland, a walled garden, numerous plantations and features such as bridges and lodges.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9371 3613|
|Parish:||WALSINGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
ORIGINALLY PART OF NHER 2029.
26 August 1997. NLA air photography.
Remains of St Mary's Priory, Abbey House and park all visible.
H. Clare (NLA), 29 Mar 2001.
19th century park. (S2) suggests the area was already in the process of being embellished. The park was mostly established by Daniel Henry Lee Warner in the early 1800s. Lee warner employed John Haverfield as landscape gardener and architect and he is mainly responsible for the design of the landscape.
A road diversion order of 1805 formalised the creation of a Sunken road from which the park was entered and a new route for the Thursford Road including the moving of the Pack Horse Bridge northwards (NHER 56860). The enclosure map shows that these were in place by 1812 along with a lodge at the northern end of the Sunk Road. This allowed creation of a lake by damming the River Stiffkey (NHER 56864) and a carriage drive over the Stiffkey Bridge (NHER 56862). The park was laid out by the time Bryants map was published in 1826, including the walled garden and gardeners cottage, plantations, footbridges, lodges and an icehouse. A map of the estate was drawn up in 1836 showing these features and the park is mentioned in (S3) and (S4). The park is shown at its fullest extent on the 1891 Ordnance map.
The lake disappeared at the beginning of the 20th century and the ice house was partly demolished in 1927. After World War Two parts of the outlying parkland was returned to arable and the grounds were opened to the public more often.
The current extent of the park is c. 52 ha although part is now given over to agricultural use. In some fields small numbers of parkland trees survive. Close to Abbey House the park reflects 19th century developments of the landscape into a 'naturalistic' park. Woodland walks extend out towards the edges of the park, famous for their snowdrops. The lake area has retreated back to wet grassland and been planted with poplars. A second entrance at the southern tip of the park is now only used for farm access. The early 19th century walled kitchen garden still stands in the middle of the park and is screened from the Abbey by the ornamental Garden Plantation. A small area close to Abbey House is retained as a private garden although the park has been open to the public since the 1920s.
Information from (S1)
K. Powell (HES), 22 March 2012.
Unattributed, 1800-1845, Plans of Walsingham Abbey Grounds and Park (Map)
Cotman, J. C., 1819, View of Abbey House across the new Lake (Illustration)
Harrod, H., 1857, Gleanings among the Castles and Convents of Norfolk (Monograph)
Ordnance Survey, 1889 - 1891, Ordnance Survey first edition 6 inch map. (Map)
Edward Lee Warner, 1901, The Life of John Warner, Bishop of Rochester 1637-1666 (Publication)
Baker, E.M., 2011, Walsingham Abbey. (Monograph)
Historic Landscape Management, 2008, Walsingham Abbey Grounds. Landscape Conservation Strategy (Unpublished Contractor Report)
Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C, 1989, Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797 (Publication)
Grigor, J., 1841, The Eastern Arboretum (Publication)
White, W., 1845, White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk (Directory)
- GATEHOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- PRIORY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WELL (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- ESTATE COTTAGE (Post Medieval to Modern - 1540 AD to 2050 AD)
- FOOTBRIDGE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FORMAL GARDEN (Post Medieval to Modern - 1540 AD to 2050 AD)
- GATE LODGE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- LAKE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- LANDSCAPE PARK (Post Medieval to Modern - 1540 AD to 2050 AD)
- POND (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1889 - 1891. Ordnance Survey first edition 6 inch map.. 1:10,560. |
|---||Monograph: Baker, E.M.. 2011. Walsingham Abbey.. |
|---||Publication: Edward Lee Warner. 1901. The Life of John Warner, Bishop of Rochester 1637-1666. pp 83. |
|---||Illustration: Cotman, J. C.. 1819. View of Abbey House across the new Lake. |
|---||Map: Unattributed. 1800-1845. Plans of Walsingham Abbey Grounds and Park. |
|---||Monograph: Harrod, H.. 1857. Gleanings among the Castles and Convents of Norfolk. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Contractor Report: Historic Landscape Management. 2008. Walsingham Abbey Grounds. Landscape Conservation Strategy. Historic Landscape Management. |
|<S2>||Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797. |
|<S3>||Publication: Grigor, J.. 1841. The Eastern Arboretum. p.324. |
|<S4>||Directory: White, W.. 1845. White's History, Gazetteer and Directory of Norfolk. |
|56861||Parent of: 19th century entrance gates, south of Abbey Park, Walsingham (Building)|
|15409||Parent of: Abbey Farm (Building)|
|56858||Parent of: Abbey House, Walsingham (Building)|
|56863||Parent of: Bridge and Lodge remains, Abbey Park, Walsingham (Monument)|
|47363||Parent of: Estate No 137 (Gardens House), Sunk Road, Little Walsingham (Building)|
|56867||Parent of: Gate piers and gates, south east entrance to Abbey (Monument)|
|47354||Parent of: No 136 (Park Lodge), Fakenham Road, Little Walsingham (Building)|
|56860||Parent of: Pack Horse Bridge, Abbey Park, Walsingham (Monument)|
|2059||Parent of: Post medieval icehouse in Abbey House landscaped park (Monument)|
|56865||Parent of: Site of former fishpond, Abbey Park, Walsingham (Monument)|
|56864||Parent of: Site of former lake, Abbey Park, Walsingham (Monument)|
|15508||Parent of: Site of High Grove House, Walsingham (Monument)|
|2029||Parent of: St Mary's Priory, Walsingham (Monument)|
|56862||Parent of: Stiffkey Bridge (Monument)|
|56857||Parent of: The Knights Gate, Walsingham Abbey (Monument)|
|56878||Parent of: Walled Garden at Abbey Park, Walsingham (Monument)|
|56880||Parent of: Walsingham Abbey Boundary Wall, Church Street (Monument)|
|56879||Parent of: Walsingham Abbey Boundary Wall, Holt Road (Monument)|
|56856||Parent of: Walsingham Abbey Wishing Wells (Monument)|
|56877||Parent of: Walsingham Priory Gatehouse (Building)|