|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Walled Garden at Abbey Park, Walsingham|
The walled garden is part of the early 19th century landscape design by John Haverfield. The garden is associated with a Gardeners Cottage (NHER 47363). It had a perimeter path and central paths which divided it into quarters with a central circular dipping pool. This design persisted until the 1940s.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9371 3606|
|Parish:||WALSINGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
ORIGINALLY INCLUDED IN NHER 2029.
The walled garden is typical of country house estates and here is part of the large landscape design by John Haverfield in the early 19th century. This shifted the kitchen garden from the Abbey complex further into the park. The garden is linked to the sunken road which runs through the park and is associated with a Gardeners Cottage (NHER 47363). The garden had a perimeter path and central paths which divided it into quarters with a central circular dipping pool. This design persisted until the 1940s.
A report of 2008 described the walls of the garden as sound. The central dipping pool partially survives under vegetation.
Information from (S1)
K. Powell (HES), 21 March 2012
- WALLED GARDEN (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Unpublished Contractor Report: Historic Landscape Management. 2008. Walsingham Abbey Grounds. Landscape Conservation Strategy. Historic Landscape Management. |
|56859||Part of: Abbey House Park, Walsingham (Monument)|
|47363||Related to: Estate No 137 (Gardens House), Sunk Road, Little Walsingham (Building)|