|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Pack Horse Bridge, Abbey Park, Walsingham|
A bridge across the River Stiffkey within the bounds of Abbey Park, Walsingham, thought to be a 19th centry garden feature. The bridge may be older and have been moved here from a more southerly point when the river was dammed to create an ornamental lake. It may have been made created from the medieval bridge which carried the Thursford to Norwich Road.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9362 3682|
|Parish:||WALSINGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
ORIGINALLY INCLUDED IN RECORD 2029.
July 1981. Inside the Abbey House.
Medieval masonry including a door and original roof timbers with painted beams. These must be part of a monastic building encased within the more recent house. Foundations of a medieval precinct wall running southeast from medieval foundations of Knight's gate towards the bridge suggest the bridge is really the base of the wall carried over the river on arches.
Information from J. Denny (North Norfolk District Council).
 states that the bridge is not on the line of either the precinct wall or the original road line. He believes the bridge was moved north when a large lake (now infilled) was made in the park in the 19th century.
E. Rose (NAU), 6 December 1993.
Apparently medieval with later alterations, four round arches (from file).
The Road Diversion Order of 1805 when Abbey Park was created shows that the bridge was moved to make way for the lake. It would have originally carried the Thursford to Norwich Road but may have been ornamentalised when moved.
Information from (S1).
K.Powell (HES), 20 March 2012.
- ORNAMENTAL BRIDGE (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Unpublished Contractor Report: Historic Landscape Management. 2008. Walsingham Abbey Grounds. Landscape Conservation Strategy. Historic Landscape Management. |
|56859||Part of: Abbey House Park, Walsingham (Monument)|