Record Details

NHER Number:56867
Type of record:Monument
Name:Gate piers and gates, south east entrance to Abbey

Summary

This is the main entrance to Abbey House from the sunken road which divides the gardens from the parkland beyond. It comprises wrought iron gates (possibly made by the Norwich firm Barnard, Bishop and Barnard) on moulded iron piers connected to stone piers by iron railings.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 9360 3653
Map Sheet:TF93NW
Parish:WALSINGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

ORIGINALLY PART OF NHER 2029.

March 2012.
This is the main entrance to Abbey House from the sunken road which divides the gardens from the parkland beyond. It comprises wrought iron gates (possibly made by the Norwich firm Barnard, Bishop and Barnard) on moulded iron piers connected to stone piers by iron railings. Recorded as being in sound condition in 2008. Information from (S1).
K. Powell (HES), 21 March 2012.

Monument Types

  • GATE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GATE PIER (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

---Unpublished Contractor Report: Historic Landscape Management. 2008. Walsingham Abbey Grounds. Landscape Conservation Strategy. Historic Landscape Management.

Related records

56859Part of: Abbey House Park, Walsingham (Monument)
Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service