Record Details

NHER Number:56864
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of former lake, Abbey Park, Walsingham

Summary

A lake was created close to Abbey House, within the grounds of the park, in the 19th century by damming the River Stiffkey. Between 1845 and 1891 the northern end of the lake was expanded to allow creation of an island with a boathouse on its northern bank as shown by the 1891 Ordnance Survey map. The lake disappeared in the first quarter of the 20th century, possibly due to silting or deliberate removal.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 9363 3670
Map Sheet:TF93NW
Parish:WALSINGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

ORIGINALLY PART OF NHER 2029.

March 2012.
The lake was created close to Abbey House, within the grounds of the park, in the 19th century by damming the River Stiffkey. Between 1845 and 1891 the northern end of the lake was expanded to allow creation of an island with a boathouse on its northern bank as shown by the 1891 Ordnance Survey map. The lake disappeared in the first quarter of the 20th century, possibly due to silting or deliberate removal. A crop of poplars were planted in the northern part of the silted lake in the 1950s in order to reduce the marshiness.

The area has now reverted back to wet grassland.
Information from (S1)
K.powell (HES), 20 March 2012

Monument Types

  • LAKE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • SHINE

Sources and further reading

<S1>Unpublished Contractor Report: Historic Landscape Management. 2008. Walsingham Abbey Grounds. Landscape Conservation Strategy. Historic Landscape Management.

Related records

56859Part of: Abbey House Park, Walsingham (Monument)
Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service