|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Walsingham Priory Gatehouse|
15th century gatehouse (c. 1440) incorporated into the flint, rubble and stone wall that fronts the High Street in Walsingham. The gatehouse is a square tower comprising a large, moulded four-centred archway with a chamber above.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9341 3681|
|Parish:||WALSINGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
ORIGINALLY INCLUDED UNDER NHER 2029.
29 April 1981.
Gatehouse now restored and repaired.
E. Rose (NAU), 29 April 1981.
15th century gatehouse incorporated into the flint, rubble and stone wall that fronts the High Street in Walsingham.
The gatehouse was probably built c 1440 and is a square tower comprising a large, moulded four-centred archway with a chamber above. Niches face the side street and inner side which would have originally held statues. The tower has three carved heads looking out, one of which may have depicted the porter leaning out to see who is at the gate. There are three damaged carved shields which may be the coat of arms of the priory, Henry VI and the Earls of Clare. Information from (S1) and (S2).
K. Powell (HES), 21 March 2012
- GATEHOUSE (Medieval to 21st Century - 1066 AD to 2100 AD)
- PRIORY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Publication: Willins, E.P. (ed. By Thos. Garratt). 1890. Some Old Halls and Manor Houses in the County of Norfolk.. PL 35. |
|<S1>||Monograph: Baker, E.M.. 2011. Walsingham Abbey.. |
|<S2>||Unpublished Contractor Report: Historic Landscape Management. 2008. Walsingham Abbey Grounds. Landscape Conservation Strategy. Historic Landscape Management. |
|56859||Part of: Abbey House Park, Walsingham (Monument)|
|2029||Part of: St Mary's Priory, Walsingham (Monument)|