|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Old Hall|
The Old Hall was built around 1500 and continued in use as a farmhouse into the 18th century. A second hall on the site was built in 1717 to 1720. It was altered at various dates especially in 1827 by C. R. Cockrell. It was demolished in 1863.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 8183 9366|
|Parish:||LYNFORD, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Site of old hall.
8 November 1983. Visit.
This hall was presumably demolished in 1880s when present hall built 400m (1/4 mile) to northeast. No trace of halls on this site remain.  a forester said that in extensive replantings on area in 1970s no foundations or urns found. For garden features see under NHER 5145 (there is also a brick bridge over lake to north). All these seem part of a 19th century garden layout over area, presumably removing all earlier traces. However  filled in a tunnel mouth on this site in 1970s. He was sure it was not an ice-house, and  of a local farm told him that as a boy he and his friends used to crawl along it until lack of air made their candles go out. They believed it led to the Catholic chapel, but that was not built until 1875. Was it some sort of drain?
E. Rose (NAU), 9 November 1983.
Land now property of Forestry Commission.
(S1) and (S2) say the first house was built around 1500 and continued in use as a farmhouse until 'well into the 18th century'. Second hall built 1717 to 1720, altered at various dates especially in 1827 by C.R. Cockrell and demolished 1863.
E. Rose (NLA), 7 March 1994.
For further details, including how the second hall was coated in white brick to disguise alterations, and accounts of 'depressions' said to remain on site, see Norfolk County Council detailed account in file for NHER 30470.
E. Rose (NLA), 30 August 1996.
Pot found on this site is now recorded as NHER 44691.
M. Dennis (NLA), 26 May 2006.
May 2019. Breckland National Mapping Programme.
Earthwork and cropmark features recorded from the Aerial Investigation and Mapping (AIM) survey, which may relate to the site of the old hall, have been recorded as part of NHER 30470.
J.Powell (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 14th May 2019.
- BRIDGE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GARDEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TUNNEL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: 1901. The Victoria History of Norfolk. The Victoria History of the Counties of England. Vol 1. p 319. |
|---||Article in Serial: [unknown]. Arch. Vol XXIII, p 371. |
|---||Serial: Armstrong, M. J.. 1781. The History and Antiquities of the County of Norfolk.. Vol VI, Grimshoe Hundred. p 65. |
|---||Serial: Blomefield, F.. 1805. An Essay Towards a Topographical History of the County of Norfolk.. Vol II. |
|---||Serial: Parkin, C. Parkin's History of Norfolk.. Vol II. 2. p 263. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Serial: Gough. 1806. Additions to Camden.. Vol II Cambers. |
|---||Publication: Hart, R. 1844. Antiquities of Norfolk. |
|---||Serial: Cromwell & Cotman. 1818. Excursions through Norfolk. Vol II, p 125. |
|---||Monograph: Reynolds, T.. 1799. Inter Britannicum.. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Early Saxon. Lynford. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Document: Norfolk County Council. [unknown]. Inventory of Historic Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in Norfolk.. |
|<S2>||Designation: English Heritage. Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England.. |
|61034||Parent of: Late 19th century garden wall in Zig Zag Covert (Monument)|
|61036||Parent of: Mound in Zig Zag Covert (Monument)|
|30470||Related to: Lynford Hall Park (Monument)|
|61038||Related to: Possible pool in Zig Zag Covert (Monument)|
|61001||Related to: Sunken path and bridge in Lynford Park (Monument)|
Find out more...