Record Details

NHER Number:40234
Type of record:Monument
Name:Didlington Park


A large park that was part of the grounds of Didlington Hall (now demolished). The park, which is being restored, contains, among other things, several lakes, a colonnaded swimming pool from about 1900, an ice house, a folly tower and a boathouse.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TL 78021 96671
Map Sheet:TL79NE

Full description

Park, not on (S1), nor on (S2), but seems to be only because previous owners would not allow access. Now being restored by new owners.
Notes in file for NHER 4821 (the Hall) by [1] note that 17th century hall had a park in which lime trees were planted in 1688. Road diverted away from hall in 1783 and again in 1819. Tithe map shows layout in 1840 with additional ponds now gone and large lakes to a different shape. By 1883 the present South Lake had been dug (separated from the North Lake by a dam restored in 2003) and Birdcage Island formed by linking two ponds to form North Lake. South Lake contains several islands, one of which, according to the present owners, was known as Cyprus. The park contains a Watteau Walk which that artist is said to have painted.
[1] notes vineries, peach houses and a herbaceous border one and a half miles long and twenty feet wide. There is a bathing pool with colonnade east of the hall site, probably from about 1900 and traces of army huts from World War Two occupation.
As well as NHER 4821, other park related structures are the icehouse (NHER 34562), the underground engine house (NHER 4834), the folly tower (NHER 4835) and the boathouse (NHER 40235).
E. Rose (NLA), 29 January 2004.

Area extended to show full extent of park as shown by (S3) including the drive to the lodge at Ickburgh.
E. Rose (NLA), 22 February 2005.

Monument Types

  • LANDSCAPE PARK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Higher Level Stewardship

Sources and further reading

---Newspaper Article: 1998. Eastern Daily Press. 24 July.
---Archive: Heywood S. (HES). 1997. Norfolk County Council Site Record - Home Farm.
<S1>Scheduling Record: English Heritage. Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England..
<S2>Unpublished Document: Taigel, A. 1997. Norfolk Gardens Trust: Town Gardens Survey - Volume One.
<S3>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1863. First edition 6".

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2019 Norfolk Historic Environment Service