|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Castle Cave 19th century folly|
A 19th century folly standing on a mound and overlooking the lakes of Didlington Hall (NHER4821). It is a polygonal turret of flint and brick with a single storey side projection, also polygonal. Graffiti from World War Two (when the estate was in military use) can be found on the interior walls. Despite its name, there is no cave.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 7786 9638|
|Parish:||DIDLINGTON, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Despite the name, there is no trace of a cave here now. The structure stands on a mound above the lakes and consists of a polygonal turret of flint with brick details and ornate pierced battlements. It has a ground floor fireplace and traces of a staircase. To the west is a polygonal single storey projection, with the angles squared off where it joins the tower, of flint with brick lancets. The original door to the west has been converted into a window at an early date and a south window made into a doorway. Another later door is beside that into the tower. Graffiti of the 1940s when estate was in military ownership. Derelict until recently, now a controlled ruin with a new viewing platform. The structure commands fine views and must date from after the construction of the South Lake in the mid 19th century, which would fit the design.
E. Rose (NLA), 29 January 2004.
- FOLLY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources - none
Related records - none
Find out more...