|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||19th century icehouse|
A 19th century icehouse in the grounds of Didlington Hall. It has recently been converted for use as a bat sanctuary.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 77652 96848|
|Parish:||DIDLINGTON, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
23 June 1999. Icehouse to west of Didlington Hall (NHER 4821) observed briefly.
Good condition. Recent wooden door and bat bricks installed in entrance. Half filled with straw. Some trees on the mound to be removed in due course by Forest Enterprise (their site No 81).
D. Gurney (NLA), 24 June 1999.
See NHER 4821 for other details probably of this site.
E. Rose (NLA), July 2001.
January 2004. Visited.
This is in fact the site of all the icehouses and the entry under NHER 4821 (the Hall) is incorrect in placing the extant one to the east. However, the description quoted there referring to three doors in the tunnel and a hole in the roof covered by a tin does not apply to the structure which has only room for two doors in a short porch, not really a tunnel. The arch of the door has an inscription in the cement underneath, W A MADE LORD AMHERST.. The date is missing. The trees on top were not in the end removed by Forest Enterprise but by the owners of the estate. The mound is large and of two slopes. Two other icehouses nearby are reported to have been destroyed in about 1940 during army occupation.
E. Rose (NLA), 29 January 2004.
- ICEHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|<S1>||Archive: NIAS. Norfolk Industrial Archaeology Society Records. |
Related records - none
Find out more...