|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||27 The Close|
A 17th century two storey stuccoed flint house with 19th and 20th century rear extensions and a pantile roof. Evidence suggests that it was originally a single storey medieval block, heightened in the 17th century. The off-centre doorway has fluted pilasters and a decorated architrave. Number 28 sits snugly around the west gable.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 23714 08794|
|Parish:||NORWICH, NORWICH, NORFOLK|
February 1954. Listed, Grade II*.
Former use unknown, now house. Medieval block heightened in 17th century. 19th and 20th century rear extensions. Flint rubble stuccoed. Pantile roof. Two storeys. Two widely spaced first floor windows. Right-hand off-centre door with fluted Doric pilasters, wide architrave having central guttae band and flat hood with mutule. Sash windows on ground and first floors with glazing bars and plain reveals. Two gable dormers with three-light casements and bargeboards. Central stack.
Information from (S1).
See (S2) in file.
October 1994. Watching Brief.
Monitoring of groundworks during construction of extension at rear of building.
Revealed up to 1m of redeposited garden soil containing building material, 19th-century clay pipes and pottery. May indicate landfill.
See report (S3) for further details.
E. Rose (NLA), 2 November 1994. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 18 April 2016.
- HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- CLAY PIPE (SMOKING) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 229. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Slide: Various. Slide. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1206385. |
|<S2>||Unpublished Document: Carter, A.. Building Survey. |
|<S3>||Unpublished Contractor Report: Shelley, A. 1994. Report of watching brief at 27 The Close, Norwich Cathedral. Norfolk Archaeological Unit. |
|Site 1503||Parent of: 27 The Close (Monument)|
|51619||Parent of: Watching Brief to the rear of No. 27 Cathedral Close (Find Spot)|
|377||Part of: Cathedral Close (cathedral precinct) (Monument)|
|Mon 1459||Part of: Cathedral Precinct (Monument)|
Find out more...