|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||St Mary's Chapel|
The former chapel of St Mary was founded by William d'Albini in the 12th century to serve the parishioners of his planned town of New Buckenham (NHER 9200) and the inhabitants of his castle (NHER 40577). At some stage in its history it was served by the canons of St James. When the parish church of St Martin (NHER 40579) was built in New Buckenham in the 15th century the chapel became the private chapel to the castle. At some time in the 15th century large traceried windows were inserted. The chapel appears to have survived the Reformation, perhaps continuing in use until the defortification of the castle in 1649. It was converted for use as a barn, with the large windows being blocked in using flint rubble and Tudor brick. It is now being converted into a house.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 08518 90307|
|Parish:||OLD BUCKENHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
The former chapel of St Mary was founded by William d'Albini in the twelfth century to serve the parishioners of his planned town of New Buckenham, and the inhabitants of his castle. At some stage in its history it was served by the canons of St James, one of whom was apparently obliged to reside at the west end of the chapel. The construction of the parish church of St Martin in the fifteenth century presumably means that at this time the chapel became the private chapel to the castle. At some time in the fifteenth century large traceried windows were inserted. The chapel appears to have survived the Reformation, perhaps continuing in use until the demolition of the castle in 1649 (S1). It was converted for use as a barn, with the large windows being blocked in using flint rubble and Tudor brick.
July 1958. Listed, Grade I.
Barn, originally St. Mary's Chapel in outer bailey of castle. Mid 12th century converted to barn mid 16th century after Dissolution. Flint with brick facing to south and east walls and slate roof. Full height central double doors to north dressed with brick. Brick quoins and some ashlar dressing. Roof line survives on west wall indicating abutting structure, possibly priest's house as remaining structure is probably the nave. Arched 13th century blocked door to lower left of west wall. Some jamb fragments set into upper arch. Interior. Splayed round arched door in south wall 12th century with ashlar voussoirs now blocked. Large splayed 4-centred blocked window to left probably 15th century. To right of door under eaves one splayed square window opening, probably 12th century. 18th century roof of tie beams, collars and 2 tiers staggered butt purlins.
Information from (S2).
The barn had apparently been used as a pigsty. The building has recently been converted into a performance space.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 23rd July 2004.
1997. Building Survey.
See report (S1) for further details.
P. Watkins (HES), 4 June 2015.
August 2003. Watching Brief.
Monitoring of groundworks associated with conversion of St Mary' Chapel to a residential building. Contexts 1-12 used.
Medieval wall revealed, possibly part of chapel extension. Also two postholes and two pieces of dressed and worked stone related to the construction of the former barn.
Undated possible pit revealed.
See report (S3) for further details. The results of this work are also summarised in (S4).
The associated archive has been deposited with the Norwich Castle Museum (NWHCM : 2009.216).
A. Cattermole (NLA), 10 May 2004. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 3 June 2015 and 5 May 2019.
Previously NHER 9200 context 3.
- PIT (Unknown date)
- (Former Type) CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WALL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- (Former Type) BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FLOOR (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- POST HOLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- ANIMAL REMAINS (Undated)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BRICK (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TILE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- Scheduled Monument
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 69; p 52. |
|---||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
|---||Photograph: KLG. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TM 09 SE 6. |
|---||Unpublished Document: Savills. The Castle House, New Buckenham, Norfolk. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2001. [Articles on the potential conversion of St Mary's Chapel into a holiday home]. |
|---||Photograph: 1996. Photograph of St. Mary's Chapel, New Buckenham. Colour. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Report: Heywood, S. 1997. The Former Chapel of St Mary at New Buckenham Castle, Old Buckenham, Norfolk. Building Report. |
|<S2>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1306494. |
|<S3>||Unpublished Contractor Report: Bates, S. 2003. An Archaeological Watching Brief at St Mary's Chapel, New Buckenham Castle, Old Buckenham, Norfolk. Norfolk Archaeological Unit. 854. |
|<S4>||Article in Serial: Gurney, D. and Penn, K. 2004. Excavations and Surveys in Norfolk 2003. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLIV Pt III pp 573-588. p 585. |
|9200||Part of: New Buckenham, a medieval planned town (Monument)|
|40577||Related to: New Buckenham Castle (Monument)|
Find out more...