|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Park House, Hunstanton Park|
A small square two storey building of brick, chalk and carrstone, built in 1623 as a deer keeper's house. Later alterations include the blocking of some windows. It is possible that it was later used as a dovecote.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 6954 4109|
|Parish:||OLD HUNSTANTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Park House on Holly Mount in Hunstanton Park.
Small square building two storeys high (about 8m square, 7m high) Multi-period building. Original 16th/17th century shown in internal fireplace etc. Walls of chalk block faced on the outside with carrstone. Windows surrounded with brick. These are later brick filled. Whole building castellated and ornamental stone inserted in 19th century? Building falling into ruin. Surrounded by trees.
A. Lawson (NAU), 24 March 1976.
It was in fact built in 1623 as a deer keeper's house.
E. Rose (NAU).
March 1981. Visit.
Condition of building unchanged. The two round-headed doorways have been renewed, probably in the 19th century, and the stone screens in the lower windows may have been inserted then, but the battlements are probably original, compare the Hall wings of the same date. Only some upper windows blocked, in brick inside and carrstone outside. Pigeon hole over door on north with landing platform; was building later used as dovecot?
E. Rose (NAU), 25 March 1981.
September 1984. Listed, Grade II.
Garden building, said to be a deer-keeper's house of 1623. Partly rubble and partly squared and coursed carstone with galleting, stone and stuccoed brick dressings. Roofless. Two storey with attics. Vernacular style with some classical references. Ground floor with two stone and stuccoed brick ventilation hole openings with classically inspired tracery of four roundels enclosing quatrefoils, two first floor large rectangular windows, one blocked and one open but without tracery, rusticated stuccoed brick surrounds. Central doorcase with moulded architrave surround with imposts and keystone. Stone plinth, quoins stone at base, stuccoed brick above, stone string course and stone coped battlemented parapet. Returns with single ground and two first floor windows, central parapet battlements heightened as stacks. Interior previously of two floors.
Information from (S1).
P. Aldridge (NLA), 12 December 2006.
(S2) also reports that Park House is ruinous.
A. Cattermole (HES), 11 August 2011.
- DOVECOTE? (17th Century to 21st Century - 1623 AD to 2100 AD)
- ESTATE COTTAGE (17th Century to 21st Century - 1623 AD to 2100 AD)
- HOUSE (17th Century to 21st Century - 1623 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1342268. |
|<S2>||Monograph: Williamson, T.. 1998. Archaeology of the Landscape Park: Garden Design in Norfolk, England, c. 1680-1840.. BAR (British Series). Vol 268. p 253. |
|1117||Part of: Hunstanton Hall (Building)|
|30464||Part of: Hunstanton Park (Monument)|
Find out more...