Record Details

NHER Number:60713
Type of record:Monument
Name:Site of 16th century timber-framed outbuilding east of Shelton Hall


This is the site of a 16th-century, two-storey timber-framed building with a jettied first floor. The original use of the building is unknown, but it once formed part of a Tudor manor (NHER 10175) and it has been suggested that it may have been a medieval court house. The structure was Listed Grade II in 1951, when it was in use as a garage, but had fallen into extreme disrepair by the early 1980's and was demolished sometime prior to 1999.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 2282 9046
Map Sheet:TM29SW

Full description

This building was previously recorded under NHER 10175.

September 1951. Listed. Grade II.
16th century timber-framed building. Original use not known.
Two-storeys. Steep pantile roof with gabled ends.
First floor jettied and with close studding.
Ground floor weatherboarded and plastered. Brick plinth. Garage doors ground
floor front.
Information from (S1).
H. Hamilton (HES), 01 May 2015.

March 1979. Site visit.
At south end of the Great Barn is a timber-framed 16th century jettied house (NHER 60713), now in state of collapse.
See NHER 10175 for full report.
E. Rose (NAU), 22 March 1979. Amended H. Hamilton (HES), 08 May 2015.

1982. Photographic Survey.
Several photographs of the exterior of the barn were taken during a site visit.
The structure was in extreme disrepair at the time of the survey.
See (S2) for further details.
H. Hamilton (HES), 06 May 2015.

1982. Site Visit.
A description of the building was compiled following visual observations.
The remaining structure consisted of four bays of what was originally a five-bay or longer structure. The wall posts in the east wall were unusually large, and were also wider than they were deep. At the time of the survey the roof was intact over the south bay and the northernmost two bays and clearly used dimished principal rafters and wind-braced collar-clasped purlins. Decoration and construction details indicated that it was built in the first half of the sixteenth century.
The observations determined that the building was not originally built for agricultural purposes but also did not have the characteristics of a domestic building. Remaining elements indicate that it had one or two elaborate first-floor bays located between less elaborate areas and unusually there was no evidence of windows or chimneys. The closest parallels are manorial buildings used as court houses.
See (S3) for further details.
H. Hamilton (HES), 06 May 2015.

Demolition was proposed following further damage to the building during a gale, sparking controversy (S4 and S5).
By 1983 the front wall and two gables were standing, but but approximately one third of the back wall was supported by temporary props and only about one fifth of the roof remained (over the south bay).
It appears that, sometime after 1986 when requests for grant aid were denied (S7), the building was demolished. The building had definitley been demolished by 1999, when aerial photographs were taken by Infoterra Ltd and Bluesky (S8).
See press cuttings (S4 and S5), appeal (S6), and letters (S7).
H. Hamilton (HES), 06 May 2015.

January-November 2014. Watching Brief.
The groundworks monitored included the excavation of footing trenches for a new outbuilding that will partially occupy this site. This work revealed an area of clay makeup and an underlying cobble surface; both of which may have been contemporary with the 16th-century building that stood here. The traces of a wall footing were also noted.
See report (S9) and NHER 10175 for further details.
P. Watkins (HES), 2 November 2016.

Monument Types

  • COURT HOUSE? (Medieval to 18th Century - 1490 AD to 1762 AD)
  • OUTBUILDING (Medieval to Late 20th Century - 1500 AD to 1999 AD?)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1050056.
<S2>Photograph: Rose, E. 1982. CBM 11-13. Outbuilding East of Shelton Hall. black and white.
<S3>Correspondence: Carter, A. 1982. Letter from Alan Carter to South Norfolk District Council regarding Barn at Shelton Old Hall. 27 July 1982.
<S4>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1983. Planners opposed to demolition of barn. 28 April.
<S5>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1984. Barn looks set for repair after wrangle. 19 January.
<S6>Unpublished Document: South Norfolk District Council. 1983. Appeal against refusal of Listed Building Consent to Demolish an agricultural building at Shelton Hall.
<S7>Correspondence: Rose, E. and Pearcey, O.H.J. 1986. Letters between E. Rose (HES) and O.H.J. Pearcey (HBMC) regarding Barn at Shelton Old Hall. 27 July 1982.
<S8>Vertical Aerial Photograph: Google Earth. ? - present. Google Earth Orthophotographs. 31-DEC-1999 Accessed 06-MAY-2015.
<S9>Unpublished Contractor Report: Emery, G. 2015. A Combined Report for Archaeological Monitoring at Shelton Great Barn and an adjacent Ménage, Alburgh Road, Shelton, Norfolk. Norvic Archaeology. 59.

Related records

53940Related to: Great Barn, Shelton Hall (Building)
10175Related to: Site of moated Tudor manor and medieval to post-medieval earthworks at Shelton Hall (Monument)
Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service