|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Medieval rabbit warren, Gooderstone|
Between 2008 and 2009 a field survey undertaken by the Breckland Society recorded a medieval warren comprising a large earthwork bank to the north that also formed the parish boundary.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 7919 0175|
|Parish:||GOODERSTONE, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
2008 - 2009. Warrens of Breckland field survey.
The earliest known date for the warren is 1370 where there is reference to 348 rabbits being culled in manorial records. A large earthwork bank that also marks the parish boundary still survives and the parish boundary also marks the northern limit of the warren and low banks mark the perimeter. A conveyance of 1619 lists the warren as having "two lodges or warren houses". The present Warren Farm is a flint and brick building dating to 1845 built in the gothic style (NHER 46209). A second lodge may have been located in the north-western corner of the warren where a well is marked on the current ordnance survey map. The site is currently owned by the Hilborough Estate.
S. Howard (NLA), 12 May 2010.
- EARTHWORK (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- RABBIT WARREN (14th Century to 19th Century - 1370 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Unpublished Report: The Breckland Society. 2010. The Warrens of Breckland: A survey by The Breckland Society.. p 23. |
|<S2>||Website: The Breckland Society. 2008. The Breckland Society Warrens Project.. http://www.brecsoc.org.uk/projects/warrens-project/. |
|39344||Parent of: Earthwork bank near Grange Farm (Monument)|
|4595||Parent of: Possible Roman road and medieval warren (Monument)|
|23910||Parent of: Undated linear earthwork (Monument)|
|46209||Parent of: Warren Farmhouse (Building)|