|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of St James' Chapel|
St James' Chapel was founded on this site in the 12th century and was dissolved in the mid 16th century. The original plan of the chapel included a central tower with a passageway underneath in the Mendicant style, with a nave and chancel. The crossing piers and the ruins of a late 15th century domestic range are the only surviving medieval remains on the site. After the chapel was dissolved the crossing and the chancel were converted into a workhouse. By the late 17th century the original medieval building was derelict and the workhouse was rebuilt in the 1680s to a design by Henry Bell. The central bay and tower of this building collapsed in 1854, and the remains of the building were demolished in 1910. Human remains have been found here, some from the medieval graveyard of the chapel, some from the cemetery of 1805.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 6218 1980|
|Parish:||KING’S LYNN, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Remains of St James' Chapel.
12th (1130s) to 16th century, became workhouse in 1581, part rebuilt 1682, collapsed 1854. Site became Savage's and Dodman's engineering works. One wall remains in church hall (listed). Gravestone in KLM.
Methodist chapel on site before 1824.
Roman ring found.
Human skeleton found.
Further human bones.
See file for details.
E. Rose (NLA), 11 August 1992.
Later buildings nearby are now recorded separately: London Road Methodist Chapel (NHER 48907) and County Court (NHER 48908).
A. Cattermole (NLA), 4 September 2006.
Further finds of human remains from the New Burial Ground.
E. Rose (NLA), 5 September 2006.
Before October 2008.
Disarticulated human remains found beneath County Court Road during sewer repairs may relate to the cemetery associated with St James' Chapel. See NHER 53193 for further information.
A. Cattermole (King's Lynn UAD), 8 May 2019.
Listed building consent sought to insert a supporting post into a 17th century mullioned window.
See (S2), (S3) and plans in file for further info,
H. White, (NLA), 21 April 2010
- BUILDING (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CHAPEL (Medieval to 19th Century - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- CEMETERY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- INDUSTRIAL BUILDING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- INHUMATION (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WORKHOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FINGER RING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- SEAL (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- COFFIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GRAVESTONE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- HUMAN REMAINS (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- PLAQUE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- Listed Building
- Listed Building
Sources and further reading
|---||Designation: [unknown]. Ancient Monuments Form. SAM Record. DNF4659. |
|---||Publication: Beloe, E.M.. 1899. Our Borough Our Churches. 2. |
|---||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1298188. |
|---||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
|---||Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TF 61 NW 5 . |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. NHERs 5480 and 5484. |
|---||Monograph: Hillen, H. J. 1907. History of the Borough of King's Lynn. p 646. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1998. [Article on restoration work needed at Greyfriars Tower and the collapse of Whitefriars tower and St James' workhouse tower]. 25 September. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1998. [Article on the history of St James' Workhouse]. 25 September. |
|---||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1992. [Articles on the finding of human bones in 1992]. |
|---||Serial: 1824. Woodward Correspondance. VolI. vol.I p.116. p 116. |
|---||Serial: 1829. Woodward Correspondance. VolIII. vol.III p.70. p 70. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 474. |
|---||Article in Serial: Tuck, D. W. 1991. St James' Chapel - Workhouse - Hospital of King's Lynn. CBA Group VI Bulletin. No 35 pp 63-80. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. King's Lynn. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Photograph: CUG 1-3. |
|---||Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. |
|<S1>||Monograph: Batcock, N. 1991. The Ruined and Disused Churches of Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 51. Microfiche 5:G12. No 124; pp 53, 149-152. |
|<S2>||Designation: Listed Building Consent. |
|<S3>||Unpublished Document: King's Lynn borough council. 2010. Design and access statement, St James' Chapel, King's Lynn. |
|48908||Related to: Former County Court (Building)|
|48907||Related to: London Road Methodist Chapel (Building)|
Find out more...