Record Details

NHER Number:48907
Type of record:Building
Name:London Road Methodist Chapel


The Methodist Chapel was built on the site in 1858, and is of red brick with a gault brick façade and with a shaped gable.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 62126 19788
Map Sheet:TF61NW

Full description

Methodist chapel built on the site of a parochial chapel of the same name (NHER 5484) in 1858.

1972. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description:
Primitive Methodist Chapel. 1858 by J. A. Hillam. Red brick with gault brick façade and stone dressings. Slate roof. Façade in west gable to street. Two storeys in three bays, the centre bay broken forward. Stone rusticated quoins at all angles. Rusticated surround to central arched double doors under a moulded hood on console brackets. Subsidiary round-arched doors either side with hoods on scrolls. String course between floors. First floor with two paired lancets separated by one three-light stepped lancet. Shaped gable over parapet containing clock face. Gabled roof, hipped to west. Shaped gable is gabled back into hip. Returns have five-window bays in both storeys, although central upper window is blind. Glazing bars and gauged skewback arches. Two-storey hipped rear extension.
INTERIOR. Gallery carried on circular iron columns with fillets to cardinal points. Corinthian capitals. Gallery swept to west side with interlace balustrade.
Information from (S1).
A. Cattermole (NLA), 4 September 2006.

Monument Types

  • PRIMITIVE METHODIST CHAPEL (19th Century to 21st Century - 1858 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Publication: Beloe, E.M.. 1899. Our Borough Our Churches. 2.
---Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
---Map: Bryant, A.. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk.
---Monograph: Hillen, H. J. 1907. History of the Borough of King's Lynn. p 646.
---Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1995. Timely clean-up for Lynn church. 6 January.
---Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1997. Major facelift at Lynn Methodist church. 1 August.
---Serial: 1824. Woodward Correspondance. VolI. vol.I p.116. p 116.
---Serial: 1829. Woodward Correspondance. VolIII. vol.III p.70. p 70.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 474.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Photograph: CUG 1-3.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. NHER 5484.
---Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1994. Facelift for Victorian chapel. 1 November.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1210689.
<S2>Monograph: Stell, C.. 2002. Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting-houses in Eastern England. p 250.

Related records

5484Related to: Site of St James' Chapel (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service