Record Details

NHER Number:48908
Type of record:Building
Name:Former County Court

Summary

The Court House was built in 1861 in the Italian palazzo style. The court was closed by the Government in 2016 and this building was converted to office use.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 6211 1976
Map Sheet:TF61NW
Parish:KING’S LYNN, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

County Court. 1861. Gault brick with stone dressings and slate roof. Italian palazzo style. 2 storeys and attic in 5 bays arranged 1-3-1, the openings arched. Stone quoins to ground floor. Windows are sashes with glazing bars and keystones to this floor. Centre 3 openings have rusticated surrounds, the left opening being the doorway. Double-leaf panelled door. Heavy string course with dentils, almost a cornice. First-floor windows have a continuous string course and are fitted with 20th century casements. The arched portion of the windows retain their margin glazing. Between a further string course and the overhanging, Palazzo-like cornice, are 5 small attic windows. On the cornice is an achievement carrying the Royal Arms. Hipped roof with 4 irregularly disposed stacks, each with its own cornice. The 2-bay south return is similar. Railings to façade: gault brick piers, iron stiles with scrolled braces, square section verticals with pyramid finials.
INTERIOR. Only staircase survives. Paired cast-iron decorative balusters. Wreathed handrail.
Information from (S1).
A. Cattermole (NLA), 4 September 2006.

The county court in King's Lynn was closed in 2016 and this building is currently occupied by a firm of solicitors.
A. Cattermole (King's Lynn UAD), 15 October 2016.

Monument Types

  • COUNTY COURT (19th Century to 21st Century - 1861 AD to 2016 AD)
  • RAILINGS (19th Century to 21st Century - 1861 AD to 2100 AD)
  • OFFICE (21st Century - 2016 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 476.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. NHER 5484.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. 384266.

Related records

5484Related to: Site of St James' Chapel (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service