|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Stable block to Kilverstone Hall|
Flint and brick stables designed in by Boardman in 1901. The stables have a large central gabled entrance and a central bell-cote. The southwest range has an open first-floor loggia and a clock tower. The stables were damaged by fire in 1992, and an archway made from the timbers of HMS Calcutta was destroyed.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TL 89187 84204|
|Parish:||KILVERSTONE, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Partly stables, partly housing. 1901 by Boardman. Flint built with brick dressings and plain tiled gabled roofs. Longitudinal range to north and west of courtyard. East half of one storey, symmetrially planned. Large central entrance gabled, and flanked by ranges of timber mullioned windows. Transeptal gabled extension at east end of storeys. Tall double right stacks and central bell-cote with steep pyramid roof. Southwest of range returned with 2-3 storey house of complex plan but similar detailing. Southwest angle has open first floor loggia under steep hipped roof surmounted by clock tower and copper bell-cote. External chimneys bear tall double brick stacks.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 11 April 2006.
- STABLE (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1901 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 457. |
|---||Photograph: 1996. Photograph of Stale Block at Kilverston Hall,. Colour. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|5951||Part of: Kilverstone Hall (Building)|
Find out more...