Record Details

NHER Number:40614
Type of record:Building
Name:Eastview (No. 1) and No. 2, Chapel Hill

Summary

These two timber framed houses were built as one around 1630. They have a 19th century brick facing. The house seems to have always been floored with fireplaces on both the ground and first floors. This is the earliest building in the terrace. It is possible the row was built to let, perhaps as small shops or workshops, in stages as need demanded. They were restored in the 1980s.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TM 08656 90450
Map Sheet:TM09SE
Parish:NEW BUCKENHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

February 1984. Listed, Grade II.
Two houses, built as one around 1630. Timber framed with 19th century brick facing. Roof of black glazed pantiles.
Information from (S1).
A. Cattermole (NLA), 20th July 2004.

South wall of house is rendered whereas other walls are faced in 19th century brick. Part of south wall removed for repairs in 1985 and examined by E. Rose (NAU). Studwork and sillbeam revealed, and horizontal beam far too low for a midwall rail. Too small an area for a definite dating but the crude scantling and the grid-pattern of timbers may suggest a late, 18th century, date.
E. Rose (NAU), 1 November 1985

November 2002. Building survey.
The house seems to have always been floored with fireplaces on both the ground and first floors. It would seem that this is the parlour end of an early seventeenth century house or the southern half of a lobby entrance plan.
See details (S2) in file.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 20th July 2004.

(S3) records as Nos. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 Chapel Hill.
Before about 1563 there seems to have been one house here. It is not identified in the landgable list of 1542 and it is possible that the western edge of the town, facing the castle park, was not built up until the mid 16th century. The northern end (No. 6) was sold off around 1563. The rest was bought by Thomas Gibson, bookbinder, in 1574. It was subdivided in 1601 to 1602. This may date the insertion of floors and other modifications.
See (S3).
M. Dennis (NLA), 11 May 2006.

NHBG Survey of Nos. 1 to 6 Chapel Hill.
Nos. 1 and 2.
Two halves of a house fronted with brick under a pantiled roof.
Appears to have originated in the early 16th century as an open hall with a pair of service rooms which may originally have been floored for storage of large items and accessed by a ladder. In the later 16th century or early 17th century a new parlour end (no. 1) was built with its associated chimney and a floor was inserted in the open hall. The south section of the wallplate was replaced at the beginning of the 17th century and a dormer window inserted. In the early 18th century the roof was raised. The house was fronted in brick in the 19th century.
M. Dennis (NLA), 15 May 2006.

Monument Types

  • TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1975. Bureaucratic mess claim by cottages owner. 5 February.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1342478.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Brown, S. & Brown, M.. 2002. East View, Chapel Hill, New Buckenham.
<S3>Monograph: Longcroft, A (ed.). 2005. The Historic Buildings of New Buckenham. Journal of the Norfolk Historic Buildings Group. Vol 2.

Related records

9200Part of: New Buckenham, a medieval planned town (Monument)
40613Related to: Nos. 3 to 6 Chapel Hill (Building)
Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service