|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||Lane's End, Marsh Lane|
This L-shaped timber framed house consists of two buildings one fronting Boosey's Walk and the other Marsh Lane. The structure is built of rendered and colourwashed wattle and daub infill and later brickwork. The part fronting Boosey's Walk consists of the hall, service wing and parlour of a house of the mid-sixteenth century. Inside this house are a series of scratched apotropaic marks on the mantle beam. It was owned by the Payne family from 1542 to 1729. The roof of this house was raised in the seventeenth century. The Marsh Lane building was built against the Boosey's Walk range in the early seventeenth century. The L-shaped building has been split into two houses in the modern period. Flintside occupies the parlour end of the Boosey's Walk range whilst Lane's End consists of the hall and service room and the building on Marsh Lane.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 08846 90356|
|Parish:||NEW BUCKENHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
November 1976. Visit.
Exterior of building seen. Slightly projecting jetty noted on Boosey's Walk elevation, possibly under built; Marsh Lane range had an earlier appearance.
E. Rose (NAU), November 1976.
Late 15th or early 16th century timber framed house with rendered and colourwashed wattle and daub infill and later brickwork. Originally two houses of two storeys with pantiled roof. North range originally jettied to first floor, now under built in brick below drip shelf.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 20 July 2004.
November 2003. Building survey.
Lane's End comprises two separate buildings, one fronting Boosey's Walk, and the other fronting Marsh Lane, making an L-shaped house. Each build has a separate pantiled roof. The Boosey's Walk range has had a roof raise and the Marsh Lane house has a pitch indicative of thatch. There is no evidence of the jetty suggested in Pevsner. It seems that the Boosey's Walk range consists of the hall and service end of a house of the mid-sixteenth century (about 1550) of which the parlour end is in separate occupation. The roof of the house was raised by means of upper crucks in the seventeenth century, in the same was as in Thatched House, Marsh Lane. The Marsh Lane building was built against the Boosey's Walk range fairly soon after, as the carpentry shares a number of characteristics. The lack of decorative features, typical of New Buckenham, makes precise dating impossible except by dendrochronology, but the lamb's-tongue-and-notch chamfer stops in the Marsh Lane building may indicate an early seventeenth century date. The Boosey's Walk range has a series of scratched apotropaic marks on the mantle beam.
See report (S1) and photographs in file.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 13 December 2004.
Previously NHER 9200 context 7.
(S3) records the Boosey's Walk range (Lane's End) with the adjacent Flintside also on Boosey's Walk in the parlour end of the original hall house.
Documented from 1542 this house was owned from that date by to 1729 by the Paynes, blacksmiths then cordwainers. In 1560 two tenements were conveyed separately to two members of the Payne family. The house was spacious enough for a daughter, Katherine Payne, to live separately in the hall chamber and the parlour chamber in 1636. Between 1729 and 1765 the house was divided into four tenements.
M. Dennis (NLA), 10 May 2006.
- TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (16th Century to 19th Century - 1550 AD to 1900 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Monograph: Longcroft, A (ed.). 2005. The Historic Buildings of New Buckenham. Journal of the Norfolk Historic Buildings Group. Vol 2. pp 88-91. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 561. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077525. |
|<S2>||Unpublished Document: Brown, S. & Brown, M.. 2003. Lane's End, Marsh Lane, New Buckenham, Norfolk. |
|9200||Part of: New Buckenham, a medieval planned town (Monument)|
|41039||Related to: Flintside Cottage, Boosey's Walk (Building)|