Record Details

NHER Number:41039
Type of record:Building
Name:Flintside Cottage, Boosey's Walk

Summary

This L-shaped timber framed house consists of two buildings one fronting Boosey's Walk and the other Marsh Lane. The structure is built of rendered and colourwashed wattle and daub infill and later brickwork. The part fronting Boosey's Walk consists of the hall, service wing and parlour of a house of the mid-sixteenth century. Inside this house are a series of scratched apotropaic marks on the mantle beam. It was owned by the Payne family from 1542 to 1729. The roof of this house was raised in the seventeenth century. The Marsh Lane building was built against the Boosey's Walk range in the early seventeenth century. The L-shaped building has been split into two houses in the modern period. Flintside occupies the parlour end of the Boosey's Walk range whilst Lane's End consists of the hall and service room and the building on Marsh Lane.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TM 08855 90361
Map Sheet:TM09SE
Parish:NEW BUCKENHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

February 2004. Building survey.
Flintside Cottage is rendered under a pantiled roof, and has modern extensions to the rear and east. The house seems to be the parlour end of Lane's End (NHER 40578). As there are original first floor windows it is probable that this end was always floored even though there are no storey posts for the principal joist. This building is thought to date from the mid-sixteenth century.
See report (S1) in file.
A. Cattermole (NLA), 13 December 2004.

(S2) records the Boosey's Walk range (Lane's End) with the adjacent Flintside also on Boosey's Walk in the parlour end of the original hall house.
Documented from 1542 this house was owned from that date by to 1729 by the Paynes, blacksmiths then cordwainers. In 1560 two tenements were conveyed separately to two members of the Payne family. The house was spacious enough for a duaghter, Katherine Payne, to live separately in the hall chamber and the parlour chamber in 1636. Between 1729 and 1765 the house was divided into four tenements.
See (S2).
M. Dennis (NLA), 10 May 2006.

Monument Types

  • TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (16th Century to 19th Century - 1550 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Brown, S. & Brown, M.. 2004. Flintside Cottage, Boosey's Walk, New Buckenham, Norfolk.
<S2>Monograph: Longcroft, A (ed.). 2005. The Historic Buildings of New Buckenham. Journal of the Norfolk Historic Buildings Group. Vol 2. pp 88-91.

Related records

40578Related to: Lane's End, Marsh Lane (Building)
Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service