Record Details

NHER Number:11438
Type of record:Monument
Name:Post medieval trackway


This is the course of a trackway shown on a map of 1742. The date of the trackway is unknown, although it was still in use during the post medieval period.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TL 891 826
Map Sheet:TL88SE

Full description

Suggested by [1] as the Icknield Way but more probably a drove road branching from the Icknield Way to avoid the fords at Thetford.
Marked by Ordnance Survey from 8715 8018 to 8830 8130; then according to a local ploughman, who told source [1], it formerly diverged to 8854 8167 until diverted in 1930s.
Ordnance Survey takes course on to 8930 8352 where (S1) marks its course to a ford at 8936 8378, then on to the north including Kilverstone church drive.
South of present east to west road it is marked as Dole Lane and north as Shorters Gate Way.
It then continues to 8960 8580.
E. Rose (NAU) 1975.

However source [3] says the northern end is marked on (S1).
To judge by the map in (S2), source [1] has put its northern end too far west, assuming that Maidens Walk on (S1) follows the same course as on (S3).
The map in (S2) does not show present day features and is hard to relate to the present landscape.
E. Rose (NAU) 10 April 1989.

Monument Types

  • TRACKWAY (Unknown date)
  • TRACKWAY (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
<S1>Map: 1742. Unknown map.
<S2>Monograph: Davison, A. 1988. Six Deserted Villages in Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 44. p 21.
<S3>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch..

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service