|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Roman ford or bridge|
A large number of stones and flint have been found here suggesting this was the site of a Roman ford or bridge. Roman finds include fragments of pottery and a coin.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 2278 0352|
|Parish:||CAISTOR ST EDMUND, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Evidence of Roman ford discovered.
Roman washer found.
Tesserae, Roman sherds and gravel surface found.
Casual find of Roman coin in river bank.
Casual find of Roman sherds.
E. Rose (NAU), 14 May 1990.
- BRIDGE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FORD (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- ANIMAL REMAINS (Undated)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Undated)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- TESSERA (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Roman. Caister-by-Norwich . |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. |
Related records - none
Find out more...