|Type of record:||Building|
The hall mainly dates to the time of George III. The façade block was added in 1824 and other additions were made in 1881. The west front is constructed of grey brick with three bays and two storeys. There is a shallow curved porch on pairs of Roman Doric pillars. The outbuildings have mostly been demolished but some remain including one with a cast iron colonnade. The stone coffin from NHER 9795 is said to be incorporated into a rockery in the garden. A hoard of twenty one Roman coins was discovered here in the 1895. Cropmarks of formal gardens can be seen from aerial photographs.
|Grid Reference:||TG 2355 0379|
|Parish:||CAISTOR ST EDMUND, SOUTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
March 1979. Visit.
According to (S1), the core is of the time of George III, the façade block being of 1824, and other additions 1881. West front of grey brick, three bays two storeys, shallow curved porch on pairs of Roman Doric pillars. Four bay attachment to north which may be the 1881 addition, though the style is identical. South (garden) front of four bays. Good staircase. Outbuildings largely demolished but some remain including one with cast iron colonade. Now a country club. Stone coffin from NHER 9795 said by R.R. Clarke (NCM) to be in a rockery here, but not found anywhere in the grounds, nor was a rockery, and present owners have not known of it for last thirty years.
E. Rose (NAU), 1 March 1979.
1895. 'Outside walls of Hall.'
Hoard of twenty one silver coins buried around AD 180. One Tiberius, one Otho, four Vespasian, one Nerva, two Trajan, three Hadrian, one Sabina, two Antoninus Pius, one Faustina, four Marcus Aurelius, one Flautina II.
See (S2) and (S3).
E. Rose (NLA).
1989. NAU air photograph.
Shows formal garden layout.
E. Rose (NAU), 15 November 1990.
Before 12 May 2005. Metal detecting in courtyard of hotel.
One 4th century coin.
See list in file.
Andrew Rogerson (NLA), 2 June 2006.
- GARDEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- COIN HOARD (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- COFFIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Article in Serial: Clarke R. R. 1952. Roman Norfolk since Haverfield. A Survey of Discovery from 1901. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXX pp 140-155. p 154. |
|---||Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans. |
|---||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TG 2303ASA - ASB. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 20 SW 72. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 238-239. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Roman. Caister-by-Norwich. |
|<S1>||Article in Serial: Cozens-Hardy, B. 1961. Some Norfolk Halls. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXXII pp 163-208. |
|<S2>||Article in Serial: 1902. Numismatic Chronicle series 2. Numismatic Chronicle series 2. p 186-155. |
|<S3>||Publication: Sutherland. 1937. [unknown]. p.156. |
|<S4>||Aerial Photograph: TG2303 AFG-AFJ,ANB,ANC. |
|<S5>||Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1993. TG 2303APF; TG 2203AEN - AES. |
Related records - none
Find out more...