Record Details

NHER Number:9661
Type of record:Monument
Name:Route of medieval and post medieval road


The old course of the Norwich to Bungay road, which was removed in 1800. The archaeological remains of this road have been recorded at a number of locations, including a green lane next to Bixley church (NHER 1859), a stretch of earthwork bank to the west of Park Farm Cottages, Bixley (NHER 52107), as parallel ditches cutting across Bixley medieval settlement earthworks (NHER 52477).

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 2583 0466
Map Sheet:TG20SE

Full description

November 1976. Visit.
Old course of Norwich to Bungay Road, removed in 1800. This exists as a green lane by Bixley church, but where it diverges from A144 at north end there is no trace in a field of beet.
E. Rose (NAU), 24 November 1976.

Course of the road is clearly visible as a rounded bank where it passes between the site of Bixley Hall and the former Bixley Bottom Plantation.
E. Rose (NAU), 24 January 1979.

See NHER 37133 for earthworks in Poringland wood.
D. Gurney (NLA), 17 May 2002.

May 2009. Norfolk NMP.
Cropmarks of two parallel ditches were visible running north west-south east between TG 2548 0609 and TG 2565 0580 on aerial photographs (S1)-(S3), contrary to negative evidence recorded above, where the road diverges from the A146 and B1332 Bungay Road. These ditches are clearly visible as boundaries of the ‘Old Bungay Road’ on the Tithe Map of 1805, and were therefore not mapped as part of the NMP. Other possible linear ditches were also visible, although only on (S3), at least one of which appeared to be a possible extension of the field boundary visible on the Tithe Map and 2nd edition OS, running from TG 2566 0580 to TG 2572 0583, and then as parallel to the field boundary, from TG 2572 0583 to TG 2578 0573.
E. Bales (NMP), 20 May 2009.

November 2009. Norfolk NMP.
The earthworks of a significant section of this road have been identified on aerial photographs within an area of former earthworks within Bixley medieval settlement (NHER 9660). This section of road has been recorded under NHER 52477. Further possible traces of this road also have been recorded as soilmarks to the north of Poringland Wood, see NHER 52478 for details.
S. Horlock (NMP), 04 November 2009.

Monument Types

  • ROAD (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • ROAD (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Bixley.
<S1>Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1951. RAF 58/714 (Vp1) 5111-2 03-JUN-1951 (NMR).
<S2>Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1951. RAF 58/714 (Vp1) 5087-8 03-JUN-1951 (NMR).
<S3>Aerial Photograph: TG2505 D,E.
<S4>Map: 1805. Framingham Earl with Bixley.
<S5>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1916. OS 2nd Edition 25".

Related records

52477Parent of: Earthworks of medieval to post-medieval settlement (Monument)
37133Parent of: Poringland Wood (Monument)
52478Parent of: Soilmarks of road (Monument)
53222Related to: Earthworks of major medieval to post medieval boundaries and hollow ways (Monument)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service