Record Details

NHER Number:8033
Type of record:Monument
Name:Roman building


Parts of a Roman flint and mortar wall 45cm thick were disturbed by ploughing. These were excavated and Roman pottery was found.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 2673 1918
Map Sheet:TG21NE

Full description

1953. Struck in ploughing. East of Hill House (now called Green Lanes on Ordnance Survey).
Flint footings of wall 45cm (1 1/2 feet) thick. Excavated by Norfolk Research Committee found to be associated with Roman pottery.
See (S1) and (S2).
R.R. Clarke (NCM).

This site falls within metal detecting finds scatter NHER 25762.
E. Rose (NAU), 31 May 1990.

Monument Types

  • BUILDING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • WALL (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)

Associated Finds

  • POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Roman. Horstead with Stanninghall.
---Article in Serial: Clarke, R. R. 1954. Norfolk Research Committee Excavations 1953. Norfolk Research Committee Bulletin. Series 1 No 6 (for 1953) p 1.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Illustration: Hinge, M.. 1953. Horstead Heath Roman wall plan and section..
<S2>Photograph: 1953. Horstead Roman walling.

Related records

25762Parent of: Multi-period finds (Find Spot)

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service