Record Details

NHER Number:34062
Type of record:Building
Name:North Farmhouse


A 16th and 17th century timber framed house, which may have originally been a hall house. A wing was added in the 19th century, made of brick and clay lump.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 1891 0324
Map Sheet:TG10SE

Full description

16th and 17th century house, 3 builds, part painted brick, part timber frame.
Two 17th century bays to left, 2 storeys; 16th century range to right, one storey and attic.
19th century forward wing.
17th century section has chimney bay; brickwork raised in height.
Various blocked openings; gable wall with small windows; porch to north.
Timber framed section cased in brick with large chimney.
Interior of 17th century section has large fireplace and part renewed roof; interior of older section has stud partitions and queenposts.
The 19th century wing is clay lump and brick.
Information from (S1).
This sounds as if it might be a hall house with inserted floor and rebuilt parlour wing, but it needs checking in detail.
E. Rose (NLA), 17 November 1998.

Building is now of cruciform plan with long red brick wing running east, one storey and roof space, all of late 19th century construction. It joins the main house at a gable, sealing an external stack recently rebuilt.
This is hard to align with (S1).
E. Rose (NLA), 7 October 2003.

Monument Types

  • HALL HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TIMBER FRAMED HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 318.
<S1>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1169331.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service