|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||The Old Hall|
A medieval moated site, with a moated outer enclosure. The Hall, built before the 16th century, is built with stone which may have come from North Elmham Cathedral. The manorial site here was under the control of the Bishop of North Elmham, and Late Saxon pottery has been found in the moat.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 9568 2042|
|Parish:||BRISLEY, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Complex medieval moated site and hall.
The Hall sits within the main enclosure of the moat, an outer enclosure is visible on Ordnance Survey aerial photographs (S1). The moat probably dates from between the 13th to the 15th centuries. The east side of the moat is still waterfilled and deep. It is followed on the east by a 19th century garden wall. At its northern end it is crossed by a bridge, then by a red brick wall on a causeway. Beyond this, the former north arm is now a shallow depression in a garden, returning to the south at its western end. The remainder of the western arm and the southern arm appear to have been filled in and are covered by the farmyard. This moated site may be connected with manorial administration when it came under North Elmham Bishop's manor.
The Hall was constructed of reused limestone and large quantities of ironbound conglomerate, possibly from North Elmham cathedral. The main part of the hall was built before the 16th century, with alterations carried out in the 17th century. It is aligned west-north-west to east-south-east and is L-shaped. The oldest part of the house is the block which runs approximately north-south with a façade to the east, extended northwards by a later wing. It is likely that this building began as a single storey, constructed mainly of reused material. A second storey was added later, probably around 1500. A later west wing is attached at the northern end. The main block is of two storeys with a pantiled roof. The roof structure of the main block is very fine and comprises five queenpost trusses set on slightly arched tiebeams supported on solid arched braces. The upper floors appear to date to about 1500. The windows were altered in the late 17th century. Further 19th century alterations have taken place and include the addition of a brick stack bay, a west wing dated 1806, and windows which are also probably of this date.
See (S2) and (S3).
E. Rose (NAU), 27 June 1986.
January 1988. Renovation work.
This work has involved the stripping of the north gable wall within the lean-to extension. This has revealed that the walling is of chequered brickwork with tuck pointing, laid in Flemish bond. The gable stack, above the roofline, can be seen to have been widened, which suggests that when the lean-to was added in the 19th century a new flue was cut into the existing wall.
Foundations of a flint wall parallel with the north gable wall are said to have been found a short distance to the north in the garden. However, this may be a yard wall or an outbuilding.
This work revealed that the north wall, like the south, had been rebuilt, probably in the 17th century.
When all of the joists in the southern room were lifted, these were found to be roll-moulded. The remains of a pammet floor were found beneath.
See notes in file for further information.
E. Rose (NAU), 19 & 26 January 1988.
Owner reported that the removal of part of the ceiling in the southern room shows that moulded joists remain in position above the plaster. Therefore, wherever the moulded joists beneath the ground floor came from, they are not this ceiling lowered to the floor, as previously suggested.
E. Rose (NAU), 6 May 1988.
Late Saxon pottery found within the moat.
Details in file.
W. Milligan (NCM), 9 September 1994.
- ENCLOSURE (Undated)
- FINDSPOT (Late Saxon to Medieval - 851 AD to 1539 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HOUSE (Medieval to 21st Century - 1066 AD to 2100 AD)
- MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- BRIDGE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- CART SHED (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD to 2100 AD)
- GARDEN WALL (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD to 2100 AD)
- GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD to 2100 AD)
- POT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Brisley. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service. |
|<S1>||Aerial Photograph: OS AP 72.300.166; Unit: TF9520 A-C, E-F; TF9621 T-V. |
|<S2>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077462. |
|<S3>||Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1986. Building Report.. Building Report. |
Related records - none
Find out more...