|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Site of Roman settlement|
Fieldwalking recovered pieces of Roman building material, Roman pottery, Roman tiles and fragments of medieval pottery. Metal detecting found seven Roman coins, a Roman or Early Saxon latch-lifter and medieval finds including part of a decorated sword chape. This is interpreted as the site of a Roman settlement.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 15 30|
|Parish:||ITTERINGHAM, NORTH NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
March 1992. Fieldwalking finds. Finder's No.W37.
Roman building material.
See lists and details in file.
E. Rose (NLA), April 1992.
1992. Metal detecting finds.
Seven Roman coins. See list in file.
Large sherd Roman greyware bowl.
Roman latch-lifter, oval openwork handle, broken (?Early Saxon).
Cast medieval bronze cauldron foot, central rib, flattened triangular section.
Medieval? chape? fragment. Openwork decoration, key-shaped openings and central 'foliage'.
Medieval rectangular bronze buckle, with pin that has two transverse grooves.
Medieval harness pendant fragment, suspension loop and part of oval plate.
Identified by J. Davies (NCM) and S.Margeson (NCM).
A. Rogerson (NLA), 6 April 1993.
(S2) describes as a Roman site that lies just below the 35m contour on a spur projecting into the Bure Valley. There is a gentle slope northwards to a small valley draining to Wolterton Lake. The concentration is clearly defined on three sides of a 96 to 50m rectangle but the northern margin is indistinct and finds extend northwards. The site is a strong one and the range of finds points to a protracted period of activity. Building materials include over-fired, semi-vitrified tiles with parts of two fused together. Sherds occur as outliers to the west southwest and south.
M. Dennis (NLA), 12 April 2006.
- BUILDING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- SETTLEMENT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- LATCHLIFTER (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- POT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- TILE (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- LATCHLIFTER (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- BUCKLE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CAULDRON (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- HARNESS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- SCABBARD (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Map: Finder's Map.. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S2>||Article in Serial: Davison, A. 1995. The Field Archaeology of the Mannington and Wolterton Estates. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XLII Pt II pp 160-184. |
|28906||Related to: Site of Roman settlement (Monument)|
Find out more...