|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Roman settlement and multi-period finds|
Metal detecting around Venta Icenorum Roman town (NHER 9786) has recovered a wide range of Roman, Saxon and medieval objects. Over 300 Roman coins, a Roman lion's head stud, Roman brooches, an Early Saxon shield-shaped buckle, a Middle Saxon pin and a hammered silver medieval or post medieval coin were found. The number of Roman coins and other objects recovered suggests that this was an area of Roman settlement.
Images - none
Winter 1987 to 1988.
Finds from 'either north or south or west of Roman town'. Probably from either sites NHER 13222, NHER 9813 or NHER 9836 to judge from finders' other finds.
Fragment of animal brooch in form of fish, 2nd century.
Roman decorative stud, circular with notched edge and concentric raised rings, originally enamelled.
Post medieval coins and tokens.
See list in file.
Identified by J. A. Davies (NCM), A. Rogerson (NLA) and D. Gurney (NLA)
Fragment of Roman pin with moulded decoration.
Roman stud head, solid with grooves vertically around sides and flat top. Roman lions head stud.
Early Saxon shield on tongue buckle tongue.
Probably Roman pin with collared head and swollen shaft, most of shank missing.
Middle Saxon pin, facetted head with ring and dot decoration.
Roman belt fitting with three attachment holes. Square sectioned bar with straight end and broken splaying end. Transverse grooves and part facetted sides, handle, date?
Fragment cast vessel rim with raised decoration, date?
Hammered silver coin fragment, medieval or post medieval.
Sheet bell with attachment loop from dress.
Fragment of cast curved object with bezel like projection. Function and date unknown.
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- SETTLEMENT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Early Saxon - 410 AD to 650 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- FINDSPOT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- DRESS COMPONENT (Undated)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Undated)
- VESSEL (Undated)
- BROOCH (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- PIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- STRAP FITTING (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- STUD (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- BUCKLE (Early Saxon - 411 AD to 650 AD)
- PIN (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- COIN (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- COIN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- STRAP FITTING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- TOKEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
Related records - none
Find out more...