|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||South Gatehouse to Hillington Park|
This massive main gatehouse to Hillington Park was built between 1824 and 1830 by W. J. Donthorne. It is Tudor in style and has a large central tower (with a central arch and four turrets) with lodges either side. It is built of carrstone with freestone features and some of the stonework may have once been part of King's Lynn's market cross (NHER 5550). Four medieval crosses (NHER 3503) were moved here from elsewhere during the construction of the gatehouse.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 7179 2556|
|Parish:||HILLINGTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
August 1960. Listed, Grade II.
See (S1) for the complete listing details.
Grand gatehouse with central tower with turrets, lodges forming base each side of arch, in imitation of a Tudor gatehouse. Carrstone with freestone trimmings.
Main window over arch renewed, but others have pointed stone tracery (compare Stables House, see NHER 3508).
By Donthorne, 1824 to 1830, important early example resembling general appearance of the Hall now demolished.
Formed one side of a circular arrangement on the corners of which are reset crosses - for these see NHER 3503.
E. Rose (NAU), 18 April 1985.
According to (S2) the gate was built from stone from King's Lynn.
Press cutting (S3) in file.
It is certainly true that the stone from Lynn Market Cross was taken to Hillington to build 'entrance lodges' in the 1820s. But which lodge is not recorded.
E. Rose (NLA), 13 November 2001.
- GATEHOUSE (19th Century to 21st Century - 1824 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|<S1>||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077613. |
|<S2>||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1998. Lynn gates - from seiges to sightseers. 14 July. |
|<S3>||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1999. Hall is testament to colourful past. 28 February. |
|3510||Parent of: Site of medieval cross (Monument)|
|30512||Part of: Hillington Park (Monument)|
Find out more...