|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||East Gatehouse to Hillington Park|
This east gatehouse to Hillington Park was built between 1824 and 1830 by W. J. Donthorne. It is Tudor in style and is built of brick, flint and dressed stone. There is a central archway with a three storey tower to the north and lodges on either side. Some of the stonework may have once been part of King's Lynn's market cross (NHER 5550).
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TF 7279 2621|
|Parish:||HILLINGTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK|
Central tower over arch with four turrets, lodges to each side integral with base.
Early neo-Tudor work, by Donthorne 1824 to 1830, important now that Hall has been demolished.
Archway now disused and hole knocked in adjacent park wall for drive.
Not as grand as south gate (see NHER 21255).
E. Rose (NAU), 18 April 1985
According to (S1) the lodges were built with stone from King's Lynn market cross. Is this true or a confusion with the crosses by the south gate?
E. Rose (NLA), 17 July 1998.
It is certainly true that the stone from Lynn Market Cross was taken to Hillington to build 'entrance lodges' in the 1820s.
E. Rose (NLA), 13 November 2001.
Photographs (S2) in file.
The archway is centrally placed, with the octagonal three storey tower to the north. Built of brick, flint and dressed limestone and sandstone.
There are the arms of the Ffolkes family in stone above the archway.
For further information see listed description.
D. Robertson (NLA), 6 March 2006.
The gateway was restored in 2006, but in 2007 part was damaged by a falling branch.
E. Rose (NLA), 5 July 2007.
The Museum of Freemasonry suggests this is a comb for animals.
E. Rose (NLA), 25 June 2007.
- GATEHOUSE (19th Century to 21st Century - 1824 AD to 2100 AD)
Associated Finds - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1168624. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|<S1>||Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1998. Lynn gates - from seiges to sightseers. 14 July. |
|<S2>||Photograph: Dawnay, Mr.. [unknown]. |
|30512||Part of: Hillington Park (Monument)|
Find out more...