|Type of record:||Find Spot|
|Name:||Saxon, medieval and post medieval finds|
Metal detecting at this site has revealed an 8th to 11th century AD Saxon brooch with enamelled and punched decoration, part of a Late Saxon spur and a small post medieval copper alloy bag shaped vessel that may have been used for carrying holy oils.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 01 79|
|Parish:||BLO NORTON, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
1984. Metal detecting.
Sub square copper alloy brooch with enamelled and punched decoration no parallels known in British Museum but probably Late Saxon (Middle Saxon?) 8th-11th century. See drawing (S1).
I.D. S. Margeson (NCM).
Inf and penes .
A. Rogerson (NAU), January 1985.
January/February 2001. Metal detecting.
?Late Saxon and post medieval objects
See list in file.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 19 March 2001.
- FINDSPOT (Middle Saxon to 19th Century - 651 AD to 1900 AD)
- BROOCH (Middle Saxon - 651 AD to 850 AD)
- BROOCH (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- SPUR (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- UNIDENTIFIED OBJECT (Late Saxon - 851 AD to 1065 AD)
- CHRISMATORY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- VESSEL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Protected Status - none
Sources and further reading
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Photograph: CSF6-10. |
|<S1>||Illustration: Frost, T.. 1984. Drawing of a Middle/Late Saxon copper alloy brooch.. Paper. 2:1. |
Related records - none
Find out more...