Record Details

NHER Number:17631
Type of record:Building
Name:Old Smithy, formerly Corner Farmhouse, The Street


17th century timber framed and wattle and daub and clay lump house with 19th century renovations and additions. It was demolished in the 1980s.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 0168 7991
Map Sheet:TM07NW

Full description

7 October 1981. Visit.
Shown on (S1) as L-shaped and described in listing as three bays. At time of visit only one and a half remaining. Wattle and daub and clay lump. Low ground floor and high attic rooms. In the one remaining partition wall of the upper floor are two unequal arched braces, and supporting the ceiling beam on the floor below is an interesting carved bracket, both of which could be 17th century. Other timberwork seems to be later. The arched braces in the north wall centre seem 19th century, and the eastern bay floor beams are reused. Tall brick chimney with bread oven, unusual narrow bricks but probably local early 19th century. Building was listed Grade III, condemned under a demolition order. Then upgraded to Grade II when half demolished. Application to demolish remainder. See (S2). This in any case will soon fall down on its own.
E. Rose (NAU), 7 October 1981.

Pre 1988.
Demolished and new house on site.

Monument Types

  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Photograph: 1980. The Old Smithy, Blo Norton (now demolished). Print.
<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1889 - 1891. Ordnance Survey first edition 6 inch map.. 1:10,560.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry Unknown.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service