Record Details

NHER Number:14997
Type of record:Building
Name:Congham Lodge


A watermill is marked here on Faden's map of 1797. On a later Ordnance Survey map of 1836 Congham Lodge is shown at this site. The house was built around 1800 and was extended in 1914. The Classical style building has a single storey red brick building over the adjacent stream. Metal detecting in the grounds has recovered several Roman coins and a 16th century German copy of a French medieval jetton. There are reports of whale bones also being found in the grounds.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 7136 2476
Map Sheet:TF72SW

Full description

Congham Lodge, (Ordnance Survey)
Marked as 'oil mill' (water mill) on (S1).
E. Rose (NAU), 1 June 1979.

Marked on (S2) as Congham Hall (present hall south of parish not shown).

Whale bones in grounds
Information from KLM.

(S3) dates to about 1800, extended 1914, and gives detailed description - Classical style with original interiors. Mill represented by single storey red brick wing standing across stream.
E. Rose (NAU), 12 July 1989.

1989. Metal detecting.
Early post medieval copper alloy mount in form of acorn iwth two spikes on reverse. See (S4).
16th century copy made in Germany of medieval French jetton (identified by E. B. Green (NCM)). See (S4).
Two Roman coins identified by [2]:
3rd century barbarous radiate, very worn.
2nd century sestertius, Antonine. Worn.
A. Rogerson (NLA), 2 April 2000.

Monument Types

  • WATERMILL (16th Century to 18th Century - 1540 AD to 1800 AD)
  • GREAT HOUSE (18th Century to 21st Century - 1800 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ANIMAL REMAINS (Undated)
  • COIN (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
  • HARNESS FITTING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • JETTON (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • STRAP FITTING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 270.
<S1>Publication: Faden, W. and Barringer, J. C. 1989. Faden's Map of Norfolk in 1797.
<S2>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1836. [unknown].
<S3>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1168552.
<S4>Photograph: NCC Find Identification and Recording Service. c. 1975-2000. HES Find Polaroid Collection. HES Find Polaroid Collection. polaroid. black and white.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service