Record Details

NHER Number:10937
Type of record:Building
Name:Channonz or Chanons Hall, Plantation Road, Tibenham


The grand house here sits within a double moated site and derives its name from the owner of manor in 13th century. The present building is only one wing of a larger E-shaped house, dated 1569, which was modernised in 1721 and partly demolished in 1784. Inside, there is a fine wall painting dating to around 1726 and a fireplace from Woodbastwick Hall. A visit to the site in 1999 found the moats to be in superb condition and bridge abutments noted to the west.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TM 1479 8845
Map Sheet:TM18NW

Full description

See detailed publication by (S1).

Sits within double moated site; name dates from owner of manor in 13th century and so therefore probably manorial.

Present building is only one wing of demolished E-shaped house; dated 1569 which may not be original but which is probably the correct date. Home of Buxtons, modernised 1721, demolished 1784 in favour of Shadwell except for surviving east wing with pedimented windows with transoms, angle shafts, stepped gables etc. Barns dated 1862.

For moats compare enclosure map 1822 (Norfolk Record Office: PC 8/1 P133B).
E. Rose (NAU) 18 October 1985.

(S1) shows plate of photograph of painting of hall found with Buxton papers at Cambridge, and says original has not been traced. It is in fact at Hangham Hall.

Informant [1] Breckland District Council, reports a fine wallpainting of the hall in Limetree House, Aslacton (NHER 21815) - is this the original? - No, see below.

Wall painting at Tibenham (see above) is of intermediate stage in house's alterations dated 1726.
See report and photographs in file.

(S2) describe a number of 17th century inscriptions in the hall 'which are to be returned to the church'.

Informant [2] South Norfolk District Council, reports only major alteration since Baggs's article is insertion of massive Victorian fireplace in one wall including rebuilding of wall all around.
E. Rose (NAU) 4 November 1985.

See (S3).

(S4) in file states that the building contains a fireplace from Woodbastwick Hall.
E. Rose (NLA) 22 June 1993.

A Jacobean doorway reused at Old Thorpe House, Thorpe St Andrew (NHER 4655) is said to come from here but this seems very unlikely.
E. Rose (NLA) 8 October 1993.

Barn to northeast, formerly Grade II, delisted 1993.

Moats in superb condition, water filled. Bridge abutments noted to west.
H. Paterson (NLA) 26 March 1999.

Monument Types

  • GREAT HOUSE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MANOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BARN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • WALL PAINTING (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TM1488A-D.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 731.
---Leaflet: 1971. Restoration of Channonz Hall, Tibbenham..
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1998. [Sale advertisement for Channonz Hall]. 18 September.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2005. [Illustration of Channonz Hall]. 16 November.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Post-Medieval. Tibenham.
---Photograph: CUW 28-32 (wallpainting).
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
---Designation: English Heritage. 1990-2013. English Heritage Listing Notification. Notification. DNF10710.
<S1>Article in Serial: Baggs, A. P. 1966. Channons Hall. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XXIV Pt I pp 9-13.
<S2>Documentary Source: Martin, T. c. 1700-1799. Collections of Church Notes. Norfolk Records Office. c. 1740.
<S3>Article in Serial: Rose, E. J. 1987. The Aslacton Painting of Channonz Hall, Tibbenham, and an early Cartographic Illustration. Norfolk Archaeology. Vol XL Pt I pp 109-113.
<S4>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1993. Moated Tudor hall set among own woodland. 18 June.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service