|Type of record:||Monument|
|Name:||Viking's Mound (The Bubberies), Quidenham|
This site refers to a mound on the west of Eccles Road on the north bank of the River Wittle. The name 'Viking's Mound' is a recent one and is part of the many exciting explanations offered for this site. Over time it has been incorrectly identified as a Bronze Age round barrow, the burial site of Queen Boudicca of the Iceni tribe, a battlefield site and a Viking monument. The most plausible interpretation of the mound is as the mound of a small Norman motte and bailey castle built by the D'Albinis in the 12th century to guard the ford. A mound is clearly visible at this location on the available aerial photographs, however it was not possible to map the earthwork to any greater accuracy than was already depicted on the ordnance survey map of the area.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TM 0267 8782|
|Parish:||QUIDENHAM, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK|
Mound on west side of Eccles Road on north bank of River Wittle - steep sided.
13 July 1935.
H. D. Hewitt described it as; approximate diameter 31 paces (say 28m) height say 3.2m. Very steep mound, as compared with usual heath Bronze Age bowl. Flat top; but not cut into at top. Big cut into southeast side and a lesser one nearest river (i.e. south) perhaps due to flood undercutting. No definite ditch. Seven oak trees and one whitethorn on mound. Three of the oaks are probably at least three hundred years old (copied from NCM card).
Known as the Bubberies in 19th century.
See (S1), footnote: 'In the grounds of the parsonage house at Quidenham there is a mound which local tradition affirms to be the burial place of the warrior Queen (Boudicca). It stands close to the road, near a small stream, and is fifty yards round at the base, which is surrounded by a trench. This tumulus is locally called the Bubberies which the people say is a corruption of Boadicea or Boudicca. It has never been explored, but is supposed to have been the site of a battle, from the large number of skulls and other human remains which are found in the churchyard close by (S1).
See also (S2), (S3) and (S4) (wrongly calls Essex).
Ordnance Survey say that the name Viking's Mound is 'very recent' but that there is no record of where it came from. They believe this is not a tumulus at all but a small Norman castle mound guarding the ford.
E. Rose (NLA) 9 March 1981.
Well-established oak trees on mound, which is covered by very dense vegetation and saplings. Infested with moles and/or rabbits.
D. Gurney (NLA) 20 September 1993.
Mature trees on mound showing signs of dying off. Surface covered by elder and bramble scrub. Examination of trees by tree surgeon has established that trees are not at risk of falling and causing damage. Agent hopes Section 17 will be entered into by owners to remove scrub and control rabbits.
H. Paterson (NLA) 8 September 1997.
Scrub and small trees have been cut under a Section 17 Agreement. Some regeneration of elder to be strimmed. Screen left near road to discourage trespass.
H. Paterson (NLA) 12 March 1999.
Visited at request of Forestry Commission to discuss a Woodland Grant Scheme application. This will entail felling mature poplars to east of the mound alongside the road, and replanting with oak, hazel and hawthorn. The woodland officer has stipulated that during felling operations, no machinery will be permitted within 3m from the base of the mound, work will be undertaken in dry weather. The operations are well away from the monument.
English Heritage have been informed.
H. Paterson (NLA) 24 June 1999.
Section 17 Management Agreement signed 23 September 1997 (5 years).
H. Paterson (NLA) 14 September 1999.
June 2000. Visit.
Poplar trees along roadside to East of the mound have been felled, followed by a replanting scheme. Three trees have been planted in the ditch to South. These will be removed carefully in the autumn. Cedar regrowth to be cut.
Several large branches have snapped off large oak. Tree specialist to examine old tees to assess stability.
H. Paterson (NLA) 6 June 2000.
Some further dying off of branches on mature trees. Much regeneration of bramble and elder scrub. Trees will be examined, and scrub and brambles cut.
H. Paterson (A&E) 30 November 2001.
(S7) describes this as a castle mound, 18m in diameter and 4m high, steep sided with a flat summit. No evidence of a bailey. Considered to be a small site built by the D'Albinis in the 12th century and paired with Denton (NHER 11047).
D. Gurney (NLA) 14 May 2003.
Thick bramble cover, especially to the south. Dense elder and other sapling growth on remainder. One large oak leaning to SW. Other dead branches noted on several mature trees.  will make sure that undergrowth and saplings are cut under terms of Section 17 agreement. Mature trees will be examined.
H. Paterson (A&E) 1 September 2003.
Section 17 renewed, backdated to 5 December 2007.
D. Robertson (NLA), 27 May 2008.
July 2012. Norfolk NMP.
A mound is clearly visible at this location on the available aerial photographs (S9-S10), however it was not possible to map the earthwork to any greater accuracy than was already depicted on the Ordnance survey map of the area (S11), nor was it possible to offer a conclusive date for this feature.
E. Bales (NMP), 17 July 2012.
Section 17 renewed, backdated to 5 December 2012.
D. Robertson (HES), 23 July 2013.
- BATTLEFIELD? (Unknown date)
- ROUND BARROW? (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- CASTLE? (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- MOTTE? (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
Associated Finds - none
- Management Statement
- Scheduled Monument
- Section 17 Agreements
Sources and further reading
|---||Designation: [unknown]. Ancient Monuments Form. SAM Record. DNF81. |
|---||Unpublished Document: H. Paterson (A&E), MPP. Section 17 Management Agreement. |
|---||Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TM 08 NW 7 . |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Bronze Age. Quidenham. |
|---||Secondary File: Secondary File. |
|---||Photograph: CXR 11. |
|<S1>||Publication: Dunkenfeld-Astley, H. (ed). 1908. Memorials of Old Norfolk. pp 2-3. |
|<S2>||Publication: Spence, L. 1937. Boadicea: Warrior Queen of the Britons. p 260. |
|<S3>||Article in Serial: Clarke, W. G. 1913. Norfolk Barrows. The Antiquary. Vol XLIX pp 416-423. p 420. |
|<S4>||Publication: Dudley and Webster. The Rebellion of Boudicca. p.125. p 125. |
|<S5>||Monograph: Lawson, A. J., Martin, E., Priddy, D. and Taylor, A. 1981. The Barrows of East Anglia. East Anglian Archaeology. No 12. |
|<S6>||Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1985. Boudicca burial mound claim. 29 October. |
|<S7>||Monograph: Liddiard, R.. 2000. Landscapes of lordship: Norman castles and the countryside in medieval Norfolk, 1066-1200.. pp 101-102. |
|<S8>||Unpublished Document: Norfolk County Council. 2007-2008. Section 17 Management Agreement. |
|<S9>||Oblique Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.. 1984. NHER TM 0287B-C (NLA 149/AWU1-2) 27-APR-1984. |
|<S10>||Vertical Aerial Photograph: RAF. 1947. RAF CPE/UK/1938 3038-9 18-JAN-1947 (NMR). |
|<S11>||Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-7. Ordnance Survey second edition 25 inch (1902-7) map. 25 inches to 1 mile. |
|<S12>||Unpublished Document: Norfolk County Council. 2012-2013. Norfolk Monuments Management Project Section 17 agreement. |
Related records - none
Find out more...