Record Details

NHER Number:9457
Type of record:Building
Name:Stanfield Hall


Stanfield Hall is set within a medieval moat, on the site of a medieval manor. The moat is crossed by a 16th century brick bridge, and the parish boundary between Wymondham and Ketteringham runs through the middle of the moat. The present Tudor-style hall dates from the late 18th or early 19th century and has a central staircase hall that rises through two storeys. In 1848 the Hall was the scene of an infamous double murder when James Blomfield Rush shot and killed Isaac Jermy and his son, and badly injured his wife and a maid. Rush was later hanged at Norwich Castle in front of a crowd of at least 12,000 people.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 1434 0102
Map Sheet:TG10SW

Full description

Medieval moated manorial site where a chapel is recorded in 1216. Bridge, probably 16th century. Part of present hall is constructed of reused monastic stonework and has ceiling beams of about 1580. Majority of building is of about 1802, externally Tudor style in brick, internally with a magnficient Gothick staircase hall and lantern; surrounding rooms in a mixture of both styles. Outbuildings to rear include range of well preserved stables.
See (S1), (S2), (S3), (S4) in file.
E. Rose (NLA), 31 January 2005.

February 2005. Building Recording.
Examination of 19th-century outbuildings adjoining the kitchen yard.
Report awaited.
P. Watkins (HES), 21 June 2017.

The Hall was the scene of an infamous double murder that shocked Victorian England. On the night of 28 November 1848 Isaac Jermy left the Hall to take the evening air after a dinner party. He was ambushed and shot by a masked man, who then proceeded to shoot Isaac's son, his wife, and a maid. Isaac and his son were killed, and the two women were badly injured. James Blomfield Rush was arrested and put on trial in Norwich. During his trial Rush defended himself, and his closing speech to the jury lasted 14 hours. The jury took just ten minutes to find him guilty of murder, and he was hanged at Norwich Castle on 21 April 1849. Between 12,000 and 20,000 people attended his execution, and special train services were run from London to Norwich for the occasion. Charles Dickens observed that it was 'a grand place for a scoundrel's exit'.
See (S2) for more details.
S. Spooner (NLA) 11 April 2006

Monument Types

  • CHAPEL (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MANOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • MOAT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • BRIDGE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GREAT HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • STABLE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • ARCHITECTURAL FRAGMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TG1400 A.
---Record Card: Ordnance Survey Staff. 1933-1979?. Ordnance Survey Record Cards. TG 10 SW 5.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2004. Premier properties. 30 April.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 806-807; Pl 104, Pl 105.
---Publication: Willins, E.P. (ed. By Thos. Garratt). 1890. Some Old Halls and Manor Houses in the County of Norfolk.. Pl 43.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Medieval. Wymondham.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Photograph: AU13-20.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
---Designation: English Heritage. 1990-2013. English Heritage Listing Notification. Notification. DNF8628.
<S1>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1983. [Photograph of Stanfield Hall]. 31 August.
<S2>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1998. Murder on the front doorstep. 28 November.
<S3>Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
<S4>Unpublished Document: Rose, E. (NLA). 2005. Building Report.. Building Report.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service