Record Details

NHER Number:8614
Type of record:Building
Name:Trett's Mill


An early 19th century corn tower mill that was in use until 1916. On top of the mill is a timber and corrugated iron structure that resembles a nissen hut.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 4295 1067
Map Sheet:TG41SW

Full description

Tall brick tower of tower mill, now with nissen hut perched on top.
Visited by E. Rose (NAU) 16 November 1978.

Marked on (S1).
Built in 1826. Last used 1916. Steam auxiliary from 1888.
Information from [1].
E. Rose (NAU) 23 March 1982.

(S2) adds: great spur wheel of timber, wooden bridgetrees, 2 pairs underdriven French burrs.
E. Rose (NLA) 7 October 1998.

Monument Types

  • TOWER MILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 679.
<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1824-1836. Ordnance Survey First Edition 1 inch..
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service