|Type of record:||Building|
|Name:||All Saints' Church, Salhouse|
This church dates to the medieval period (13th/14th century) but is unusual because it was never fully finished, as evidenced by the incomplete top of the west tower. Some later restoration did occur here and the exterior of the nave, chancel and south porch all date to the Victorian period. Inside are a number of interesting features including an octagonal font brought here from Woodbastwick, poppyhead benches and an hourglass stand fixed to the pulpit. In 1982 a single sherd of glazed medieval pottery was found in the grounds here, just a short distance to the northeast of the north aisle.
Images - none
|Grid Reference:||TG 3034 1498|
|Parish:||SALHOUSE, BROADLAND, NORFOLK|
23 February 1978. Visit by E. Rose (NAU).
Unusual north arcade, probably Decorated style (seen through windows) and corbels for north aisle roof of same date.
Simple pointed north door. Unfinished west tower; (S1) is probably right in considering it part of a plan to demolish north aisle and widen church, as wide arch or window to east, now boarded up, is cut by thatched nave roof. Also northeast tower buttress ends ungainly in aisle west wall. Top of tower never built. Nave and chancel exterior with south porch all Victorian, except for lower parts of brick south priest's door: north and chancel windows in Y-tracery style, southwest windows cusped Y-tracery, southeast windows in Decorated style, but how far do these copy original work?
Interior inaccessible at time of visit. (S1) mentions octagonal font from Woodbastwick, Perpendicular and early Renaissance pulpit, poppyhead benches, stall, hourglass stand.
E. Rose (NAU) 23 February 1978.
13 March 1982. In area of recently disturbed soil 3 x 3m in area 1m north of northeast corner of north aisle.
Large (9.7cm) sherd of medieval unglazed ware, light brown sandy, handmade with very thin vertically plain applied strips ( context 1).
Held by NCM, found by staff fieldwork (S. Ashley (NAU) March 1982).
Bequests to tower in 1416.
E. Rose (NAU).
Reference (S2) notes a sacring bell bracket here.
- CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- POT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- WINDOW (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
Sources and further reading
|---||Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1295085. |
|---||Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1905. Hundred of Taverham. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol XV. pp 122-127. |
|---||Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card. |
|---||Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 651-652. |
|---||Monograph: Mortlock, D. & Roberts, C.. 1981. The Popular Guide to Norfolk Churches.. No 1. |
|---||Leaflet: Salhouse Church.. |
|<S1>||Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-East Norfolk and Norwich. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 307. |
|<S2>||Article in Monograph: Geddes, J. 1996. The Medieval Decorative Ironwork. Norwich Cathedral: Church, City and Diocese, 1096-1996. Atherton, I. et al (eds.). pp 431-442. p 441. |
Related records - none
Find out more...