Record Details

NHER Number:7795
Type of record:Building
Name:All Saints' Church, Horsford


The west tower of this church was built in the late 1440s. Many details of the tower and the church were replaced and restored during 1869 when the north aisle was built. The 13th century north nave door and chancel lancet windows are a rare survival from the earlier building. The screen, dating before 1503, has also been heavily restored. There is a Norman font and an interesting stained glass memorial to the Misses Day, two consumptive sisters who died overseas.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 1968 1538
Map Sheet:TG11NE

Full description

Bequests to tower 1447 to 1473; called 'new' 1457.
E. Rose (NAU).

Faculty to insert pieces of medieval glass in east window north aisle 1986. 19th century organ from St Martin at Palace, Norwich.
E. Rose (NAU).

October 2004. Building recording.
In summer 2004 the removal of cement render from the chancel revealed evidence for the complex history of the chancel and demonstrated how the Norman apse was replaced by a flat east wall, which is especially unusual due to the way the works of alteration retained the apse within the thickness of the new walls rather than replacing it altogether.
See (S1).
S. Howard (HES), 29 October 2010.

The west tower was begun in the late 1440s. Traceried sound-holes, bell-opening with suspicious reticulated tracery which can hardly be of the mid 15th century but could date from the 1869 restoration. Flushwork panelling on the battlements. Tower arch altered. North aisle of 1869, also with reticulated tracery. The remainder of the church so restored that it looks Victorian too. 19th century porch. The chancel lancet windows could be correct and the north nave door might well be 13th century. 13th century cusped piscina. Three bay arcade. Square Norman font of Purbeck marble, each side with four shallow blank arches. Screen with one-light divisions and pointed arches with tracery two tiers in depth. Rather restored. The original made before 1503, the date of a bequest for painting. Stained glass. Memorial to two consumptive sisters, the Misses Day, who died overseas in 1891 to 1893.
Information from (S2).
M. Dennis (NLA), 21 March 2006.

November 2010-January 2011. Watching brief.
Monitoring of groundworks associated with the construction of an extension and internal bathroom facilities. The excavations revealed 40 inhumations.
See report (S3) for further details.
The archive associated with this work has been deposited with the Norwich Castle Museum (NWHCM : 2011.448).
S. Howard (HES), 27 July 2011. Amended by P. Watkins (HES), 16 May 2019.

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Associated Finds

  • HUMAN REMAINS (Unknown date)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 1981. New tiling for church. 20 January.
---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1905. Hundred of Taverham. The Churches of Norfolk. Vol XV. pp 80-88.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Heywood, S. 2004. Record fo the Chancel at the Church of All Saints, Horsford. July.
<S2>Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 564.
<S3>Unpublished Contractor Report: Adams, M. and Dyson, A. 2011. All Saints Church, Horsford, Norfolk. Archaeological Monitoring and Recording. Archaeological Solutions. 3734.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service