Record Details

NHER Number:7222
Type of record:Building
Name:St Peter's Church, Billingford


A medieval parish church, dating mainly to the 14th and 15th centuries. In the churchyard is a mid 19th century schoolroom (NHER 51207).


  • St Peter's Church, Billingford showing the aisled nave.  © Norfolk Museums & Archaeology Service


Grid Reference:TG 0131 2049
Map Sheet:TG02SW

Full description

19th Century. Casual Find.
It is thought that fragments of 15th century stained glass found in the 19th century in an East Dereham scrapyard and re-set in North Tuddenham and Welbourne were originally from St. Peter's Church in Billingford.
Information from addendum to (S1) in file and the Welbourne church guide.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 25 January 2008.

January 1981. Field Observation.
An early 14th and 15th century church with a 13th century font.
A school [NHER 51207] constructed in 1840 stands in the church yard.
See (S1) for further details.
E. Rose (NAU) 27 January 1981.

3 October 1986. Field Observation.
The church was also visited while the school in the churchyard [NHER 51207] was under restoration. Evidence of a possible blocked pointed clerestorey window was observed. If there was another window, it suggests that they may have been an earlier clerestorey, predating the 14th century windows.
A description written in 1818 (S4) notes that the 'tower has long fallen', but this is most likely a mistake.
Information from addendum to (S1), in file.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 25 January 2008.

St. Peter's Church stands on a hill to the north of the village. The only evidence of pre 14th century work is a fragment of stone in the wall of the north aisle, but this is likely to have been reset. The nave, chancel and aisles are all 14th century, with Y tracery windows. The octagonal west tower, with a Perpendicular west window, and the tower could date to the 15th century. The original east window is blocked, and the present window dates to 1929.
The church contains a late 13th century font and a 15th century traceried screen, some elements of which have been reused in benches as well as 17th to 19th century floor tombs.
See (S1) and (S2).
Sarah Spooner (NLA), 30 September 2005.

In 1997 a limestone fragment of a window with a mullion [NHER 33264] was found approximately 50 yards north of the church. See NHER 33264 for details.
H. Hamilton (NLA), 25 January 2008.

Visit September 2013
Note specially ornate decoration to piscina basin in chancel. See photo in image library.
S. Heywood (HES), 24 September 2013

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (13th Century to 21st Century - 1300 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 388.
---Monograph: Hart, S.. 2010. Medieval Church Window Tracery in England. p 72.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Slide: Various. Slide.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1981. Building Report. Building Report.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077412.
<S3>Documentary Source: Martin, T. c. 1700-1799. Collections of Church Notes. Norfolk Records Office. 1730.
<S4>Serial: 1818. Excursions through Norfolk.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service