Record Details

NHER Number:6884
Type of record:Building
Name:All Saints' Church, Mundesley


A Norman, 14th and 15th century church, completely rebuilt between 1899 and 1914 after standing in ruins for a hundred years. Every remnant still in situ or discovered in the churchyard appears to have been re-used with imagination and affection. The building consists of a nave with a western extension, a south porch and chancel and a 20th century vestry to the north. The oldest original feature is a Norman slit window on the north side. Inside is a massive plain 14th century octagonal font, a Jacobean pulpit with a tester which originally came from Sprowston near Norwich, and the arms of Queen Victoria.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 3105 3694
Map Sheet:TG33NW

Full description

Norman, 14th and 15th century, rebuilt from ruins 1903-1914. Cross base found in yard.
See notes (S1) in file.
E. Rose (NAU).

October 1960. Listed, Grade II.
Parish church. Medieval, rebuilt 1904. Flint with stone and brick dressings. Tile roof. Nave with western extension, south porch, chancel. Single bay 19th century extension to nave with gault brick dressings to diagonal buttresses. Western doorway with stone surround. Above this a single light window. 20th century vestry to north, single storey. Buttressed nave of four bays with diagonal buttresses; medieval walling. One restored Y tracery window; two 19th century windows with two cusped lights. North nave has doorway with continuous moulding a chamfer merging to arch with hollows and rolls. Hood mould. Beside this a 12th century lancet light almost blocked by a buttress. Two 19th century two light windows. Early 20th century chancel of three bays with three two light windows to south. East window of three lights. No openings to north. Buttressed medieval porch to first nave bay with single cusped light to east and west. Eaves raised. Doorway with octagonal shafts and abaci and chamfered arch, now partly blocked and with a 20th century door. Niche over with cusped moulded brick head. Interior. Cusped stoup beside south door. A ramped western gallery. Large splay to lancet light of north nave. Piscina in south nave wall. West wall of nave in red brick revealed by fallen plaster. Chancel arch with restored polygonal abaci;Weathered shafts. In the chancel a plaque recording the rebuilding the chancel by 1914 after 100 years of ruination. Rood screen and stair of restoration. Jacobean pulpit with tester from Sprowston, Norwich. 14th century octagonal font.
Information from (S2).
P. Aldridge (NLA), 7 July 2006.

November 2008.
Proposal to form a new disabled toilet in the existing Victorian extension.
See file for more information
H. White (NLA) 5 December 2008

April 2010.
A stained glass window was smashed and a processional cross was stolen during a break-in.
See (S3) for further details,
H. White, (NLA), 9 April 2010

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CROSS (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • CHURCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • FONT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • PISCINA (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
---Map: Bryant. 1826. Bryant's Map of Norfolk.
---Monograph: Bryant, T. H. 1900. Hundred of North Erpingham. Vol V. pp 128-135.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 618.
---Monograph: Mortlock, D. & Roberts, C.. 1981. The Popular Guide to Norfolk Churches..
---Illustration: Ladbrooke. early 19th c. [unknown]. 1.
---Unpublished Document: Yardley, C. J. 2011. The Mun Valley: Historic landscape Assessment and Landscape Character Assessment for Norfolk Coast Project. p 17.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
---Collection: Norfolk Historic Environment Record Staff. 1975-[2000]. HER Record Notes. Norfolk Historic Environment Service.
<S1>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 1978. Building Report.. Building Report.
<S2>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1373509.
<S3>Newspaper Article: Eastern Daily Press. 2010. Serious damage to church caused in 'mindless' theft. 8 April.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service