Record Details

NHER Number:61042
Type of record:Monument
Name:Ditch and brick wall in Lynford Park


A ditch, with a brick wall built across its width, located within Lynford Park (NHER 30470). The ditch can be seen as an earthwork on visualised lidar data.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TL 8205 9353
Map Sheet:TL89SW

Full description

January and April 2014. Rapid Identification Survey. HA 83.
A ditch, up to 9m wide and 0.8m deep. In the south part of the ditch there is a brick wall has been built across the feature's width. To the north of the wall the ditch is much steeper and deeper than that the section to the south. Located within Lynford Park (NHER 30470).
The line of ditch is shown on (S1).
D. Robertson (HES), 24 July 2015.

August 2019. Breckland National Mapping Programme.
An earthwork ditch is seen on visualised lidar data (S2). The above earthwork has been recorded as part of NHER 30470 along with further features relating to Lynford park and gardens identified from the Aerial Investigation and Mapping (AIM) survey. The Monument Polygon defining NHER 61042 has been amended to correlate with the location and extent of the feature on the lidar imagery.
J.Powell (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 1st August 2019.

Monument Types

  • DITCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • WALL (Post Medieval to 21st Century - 1540 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

<S1>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1883. Ordnance Survey 6 inch map.
<S2>LIDAR Airborne Survey: Various. LIDAR Airborne Survey. LIDAR Lynford Forest Research 0.5m DTM 15-JUL-2015 (BNG Project, FC England, Fugro Geospatial).

Related records

30470Part of: Lynford Hall Park (Monument)
Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service