Record Details

NHER Number:61010
Type of record:Monument
Name:Boundaries of Pumphouse Plantation, Lynford Park

Summary

Two ditches within Lynford Park. They define the eastern and western boundaries of Pumphouse Plantation.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TL 8186 9334
Map Sheet:TL89SW
Parish:LYNFORD, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

April 2013. Rapid Identification Survey. HA 51 and 53.
Two ditches, defining the eastern and western boundaries of Pumphouse Plantation, Lynford Park, as shown on (S1) and (S2). Both feed into a pond at their northern ends.
The eastern ditch is curves and about 50m long. It is up to 7m wide and up to 1m deep.
The western ditch is slightly sinuous and about 190m long. It is up to 6m wide and 0.7m deep. A short section of ditch located to the east feeds into it (this is about 15m long).
D. Robertson (HES), 10 July 2015.

May 2019. Breckland National Mapping Programme.
Two ditches of a possible post medieval date are seen as an earthwork on visualised lidar data (S3). The above earthworks have been recorded as part of NHER 30470 along with further features relating to Lynford park and gardens identified from the Aerial Investigation and Mapping (AIM) survey. The Monument Polygon defining NHER 61010 has been amended to correlate with the location and extent of the features on the lidar imagery.
J.Powell (Norfolk Historic Environment Service), 14th May 2019.

Monument Types

  • BOUNDARY DITCH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status - none

Sources and further reading

<S1>Map: Fairbrother, Clark and Lye. 1856. Sale Particulars of Lynford Hall Estate.
<S2>Map: Ordnance Survey. 1883. Ordnance Survey 6 inch map.
<S3>LIDAR Airborne Survey: Various. LIDAR Airborne Survey. LIDAR Lynford Forest Research 0.5m DTM 15-JUL-2015 (BNG Project, FC England, Fugro Geospatial).

Related records

30470Part of: Lynford Hall Park (Monument)
Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service