Record Details

NHER Number:6477
Type of record:Building
Name:The Pleasaunce


Adapted from two existing seaside villas, this is a large and eccentric house, built largely between 1897 and 1899 by Sir Edwin Lutyens for the first Lord Battersea. It is very irregular in plan, tile hung, with facades of two and three storeys. Lady Battersea antagonised Lutyens by constantly amending the design, and his wish to demolish the existing villas was overruled, so he was forced to disguise them. His more capricious inventions are therefore confined to the new satellite buildings, notably the curious ranges to the north and south of the house, with an austere white painted clock tower in a stable yard and a drum-shaped former bakery to the north and a detached covered walk to the south. To the west are open octagonal garden houses with high roofs. A public road runs between the stables and the house, and Lutyens provided a curious gateway in the garden wall. An Ionic pilaster and column on either side carry a heavy entablature on which is an exuberant and excessively large coat of arms.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TG 2473 4090
Map Sheet:TG24SW

Full description

Built by Sir Edwin Lutyens 1897 to 9 from two existing houses (S1).
E. Rose (NAU).

Built for the first Lord Battersea.
For full description see listed building description 1988 (grade II) (S2). Also listed grade II each are the clock tower, entranceway, gateway, gazebo and sunken rose garden, the latter designed with the help of Gertrude Jekyll.
E. Rose (NAU), 8 August 1989.

Historic Buildings and Monuments Commission register of historic parks and gardens denies the latter point. See NHER 30482 for the garden itself.
E. Rose (NLA), 14 March 1994.

October 2010. Listing amendments.
The Gateway, Clock Tower and Covered Walkway at The Pleasaunce was upgraded to grade II*. The gateway dates to around 1900 and was built from rendered brick with much banding made of narrow tiles in a Moorish style by Sir Edwin Lutyens. The covered walk comprising a long series of arches built of brick with roughcast render, Clock Tower, loggias, towers and associated buildings were also upgraded to grade II*.
See (S3).
S. Howard (HES), 9 May 2011.

Monument Types

  • CLOCK TOWER (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GARDEN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GARDEN HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • GATE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
  • HOUSE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N. and Wilson, B. 1997. Norfolk 1: Norwich and North-East. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. pp 634-635.
---Designation: Historic England. 2007?-presen. National Heritage List for England Advice Report. Advice Report. DNF5605.
<S1>Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-East Norfolk and Norwich. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 296.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entries 1049777, 1049817, 1049818, 1049819, 1170821, 1170856 and 1305854.
<S3>Designation: English Heritage. 1990-2013. English Heritage Listing Notification. Notification. DNF5605.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2022 Norfolk Historic Environment Service