Record Details

NHER Number:55951
Type of record:Building
Name:Gate Piers and wall at Hunstanton Hall

Summary

Gate pier and wall, late 17th century. Remains of formal garden laid out after the marriage in 1686 of Sir Nicholas Le Strange.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TF 6904 4178
Map Sheet:TF64SE
Parish:OLD HUNSTANTON, WEST NORFOLK, NORFOLK

Full description

Previously recorded under NHER 1117.

September 1984. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description Excerpt:
"Gate pier and wall, late 17th century. Remains of formal garden laid out after the marriage in 1686 of Sir Nicholas Le Strange. Gate pier red brick with stone dressings. Classical style, rectangular on plan gate pier. North rebate stone console bracket."
Information from (S1).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current listing details.
A. Cattermole (HES), 10 August 2011. Amended by J. Cullis (HES), 21 January 2020.

See also (S2).

Monument Types

  • GARDEN WALL (17th Century to 21st Century - 1686 AD to 2100 AD)
  • GATE (17th Century to 21st Century - 1686 AD to 2100 AD)
  • GATE PIER (17th Century to 21st Century - 1686 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TF6941 A,B,G-L (AAF), M,Q,S,Z-AC (Unit).
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TF6941/AD - AQ; TF6842/G.
---Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
---Vertical Aerial Photograph: Ordnance Survey. 1967. OS/67069 093-4 26-APR-1967.
---Photograph: BDE18,SC(2)1-2.
<S1>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077924.
<S2>Designation: English Heritage. Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England..

Related records

1117Part of: Hunstanton Hall and Gardens (Monument)
55950Related to: Gate Pier and wall 115 metres west of Hunstanton Hall (Building)
Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2023 Norfolk Historic Environment Service