Record Details

NHER Number:55947
Type of record:Building
Name:Detached porch in courtyard of Hunstanton Hall


Former porch to 16th century range of Hunstanton Hall. Dated 1618, free-standing since fire of 1855.

Images - none


Grid Reference:TF 6917 4182
Map Sheet:TF64SE

Full description

Previously recorded under NHER 1117.

June 1953. Listed, Grade II.
Listing Description Excerpt:
"Former porch to 16th century range of Hunstanton Hall. Dated 1618, free-standing since fire of 1855. Stone, chequerwork stone and flint in attic, internally brick, returns coursed carstone with galleting, clunch and brick rubble. Jacobean Mannerist classical style. Two Tuscan Doric columns on bases."
Information from (S1).
Please consult the National Heritage List for England (S1) for the current listing details.
See also (S2).
A. Cattermole (HES), 10 August 2011. Amended by J. Cullis (HES), 21 January 2020.

(S3) reports the porch is in a poor state.

Monument Types

  • STRUCTURE (17th Century to 21st Century - 1618 AD to 2100 AD)

Associated Finds - none

Protected Status

  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TF6941 A,B,G-L (AAF), M,Q,S,Z-AC (Unit).
---Aerial Photograph: Edwards, D.A. (NLA). 1996. TF6941/AD - AQ; TF6842/G.
---Illustration: Various. Various. Architectural plans.
---Vertical Aerial Photograph: Ordnance Survey. 1967. OS/67069 093-4 26-APR-1967.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 439.
---Photograph: BDE18,SC(2)1-2.
<S1>Designation: Historic England. National Heritage List for England. List Entry 1077922.
<S2>Unpublished Document: Rose, E.. 2003. Building Report. Hunstanton Hall.. Building Report. February.
<S3>Newspaper Article: Lynn News. 1995. 'Sorry state' of our precious heritage. 24 February.

Related records

1117Part of: Hunstanton Hall and Gardens (Monument)
Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2024 Norfolk Historic Environment Service