Record Details

NHER Number:5950
Type of record:Building
Name:St Andrew's Church, Kilverstone

Summary

A medieval parish church with a large 12th century round tower, containing a 17th century bell-frame. Parts of the nave, chancel and the south door also dates to the 12th century, and the door has flanking columns with foliate capitals. The church was remodelled in the 14th century and was restored by Boardman in 1906. In the churchyard there are three early 19th century table tombs to the Wright family, decorated with Doric pilasters.

Images - none

Location

Grid Reference:TL 8938 8401
Map Sheet:TL88SE
Parish:KILVERSTONE, BRECKLAND, NORFOLK

Full description

Round tower looks Norman but I have a suspicion it is pre Conquest.
See (S1) and (S2).
R.R. Clarke (NCM).

(S3) says tower has Norman windows: Norman (Late) south door, north aisle gone royal arms 1716, stained glass 1908.
E. Rose (NAU).

(S4) in file.

25 April 1994. NLA air photography.
Within frame centred on Kilverstone Hall.
M. Brennand (NLA), 31 January 2001.

April 2000. Bell and bell frame survey.
The bell frame is designed for three bells. A significant portion of the timber is reused, and the frame has long frame heads and king- posts. Two of the three bells are missing. The remaining bell is inscribed,' IOHN DRAPER MADE ME 1624.' The present bell frame probably dates from the 17th century.
See (S5) for further details
H. White, (NLA),

(S6) dates the church to the 12th century, refurbished 14th century, restored 1906 by Boardman. Flint with stone quoins and plaintile roof. Nave and chancel survive. Massive 12th century round west tower of 3 storeys with plain parapet showing brick repairs. 20th century ground floor window to west. 3 simple round headed slit windows to ringing chamber. 4 2-light belfry windows divided by octagonal or circular solumns supporting round headed arches. Remains of scalloped capitals. South porch and exterior detail 20th century. 2-light plate traceried nave and chancel windows. East window 3-light in Decorated style. South door 12th century with flanking columns and foliate capitals. Square imposts and zig-zag and roll decoration to round arch. Interior re-seated 1857, remainder mostly of 1906. Base of Norman font with drop-leaf corners. Very fine Royal Arms in plaster-work on west wall dated 1716 and coloured. Nave roof 20th century is timber. Collars to principals supported by arched braces springing from corbels, through purlins. Chancel roof similar but moulded butt-purlins.
Also listed are three adjoining Table Tombs. About 1819. Ashlar. All to Wright family. Rectangular, on one or two course plinths with central and corner fluted Doric pilasters. Plain raised cornice under top slabs bearing Arms of Wright family, lightly incised. All three appear in drawing by Ladbroke, about 1820.
Information taken from (S6).
S. Spooner (NLA) 24 April 2006

Monument Types

  • CHURCH (Late Saxon to 19th Century - 851 AD to 1900 AD)
  • TABLE TOMB (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)

Associated Finds

  • DOOR (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
  • WINDOW (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status

  • Listed Building
  • Listed Building

Sources and further reading

---Aerial Photograph: TL8984 F,J,K.
---Aerial Photograph: TL 8984/ R.
---Monograph: Davison, A. 1988. Six Deserted Villages in Norfolk. East Anglian Archaeology. No 44. pp 36-37.
---Unpublished Document: Cattermole, P.. 2000. Inventory of church bells and bell-frames in Norfolk.
---Record Card: NAU Staff. 1974-1988. Norfolk Archaeological Index Primary Record Card.
---Monograph: Pevsner, N and Wilson, W. 1999. Norfolk 2: North-West and South. The Buildings of England. 2nd Edition. p 456.
---Leaflet: Richard Butler-Stoney. 1996. St Andrews Church, Kilverstone. The Lanceni Press Ltd.
---Record Card: Clarke, R. R. and NCM Staff. 1933-1973. Norwich Castle Museum Record Card - Late Saxon. Kilverstone.
---Secondary File: Secondary File.
<S1>Publication: Cautley, H. M. 1949. Norfolk Churches. pp 5, 214.
<S2>Publication: Cox, J. C. 1911. Country Churches: Norfolk. Vol II. p 181.
<S3>Monograph: Pevsner, N. 1962. North-West and South Norfolk. The Buildings of England. 1st Edition. p 219.
<S4>Photograph: NK 6076-6083.
<S5>Unpublished Document: Cattermole, P.. 2000. Inventory of church bells and bell-frames in Norfolk. p 8.
<S6>Designation: English Heritage. National Heritage List for England. List Entries 1306027 and 1342788.

Related records - none

Find out more...

Norfolk County Council logo Heritage Lottery Fund logo

Powered by HBSMR-web and the HBSMR Gateway from exeGesIS SDM Ltd, and mojoPortal CMS
© 2007 - 2021 Norfolk Historic Environment Service